Poll

For those of you that already own it would you buy it again if say you lost your copy?

Yes
5 (62.5%)
No
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Would you buy the Kushi Balti Book now that you know whats in it  (Read 11621 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
As question, now you have read it and tried it would you recommend it?

Give reasons as well if possible rather than its really good or really crap  ;)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Would you buy the Kushi Balti Book now that you know whats in it
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 04:04 PM »
How to make Balti curries is of little more interest to me than how to make English curries (with sultanas and things) or the cuisine of outer Mongolia - actually their dishes may be better. I'm primarily intetested in BIR style dishes, which are different to Balti curries. There are a few clues and indirect hints in this Kushi book which might help, just like in Pat Chapman's books, but all in all it's as disappointing as I expected and predicted.

Regards
George

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 04:42 PM »
Yes indeed, for me the cost is worth it just to read about recipes from a real BIR chef

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 08:28 PM »
Hi,

I have made three curries from the book and thought they were good but not exceptional.
There is a definate taste to the base which is unmistakable and a little overpowering in the dishes so for me needs an adjustment to tone this taste down straight away.
I think the main problem is we had all expected this to be a revelation on the BIR front but it is a book about BALTI cooking which is a different style and taste altogether.
Some site members have actually eaten in the restaurant and say the recipes are just the same as the restaurant food so from that point of view the book is an accurate account of the dishes they serve.

I think it gives a good number of hints and tips and gives inspiration to get cooking simply because we know it is written by the people who are the experts in this field and trust the information they give is correct.
The website "help line" seems to be happy to offer some advice and answer questions as they are keen to see their customers happy with their purchase.
They do seem reluctant to give brand names of products they use or disclose some of the more technical answers to the questions we ask being instead a little vague in the answers they give.

I will still make some of the recipes from the book from time to time as I did like what I made but must say overall I was somewhat dissapointed it was not about BIR cooking and as such would probably not buy it again if the dog ate it but that's hardly likely as we don't have a dog!!

Ray

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 11:36 PM »
Yes indeed, for me the cost is worth it just to read about recipes from a real BIR chef

So if, say, (hypothetically) , Kylie Minogue wrote a book about Rover car maintenance (which she probably doesn't know much about), then the cost of the book might be worth it just to read about car maintenace from a real pop star?

The Kushi chef only claims to be a Balti expert. We don't know if he knows the first thing about BIR style cooking. When I asked them that question, there was no response. I guess he does know a bit about BIR, as it happens, but it's outside the scope of the Balti book, so BIR is almost irrelevant to any assessment of the Balti Book.

Regards
George

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 07:12 AM »
Not really with you on that one George?

I have ordered my copy from Amazon and as its still an "open" order
but Im still going to buy it! So yeah.

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 08:03 AM »
So if, say, (hypothetically) , Kylie Minogue wrote a book about Rover car maintenance (which she probably doesn't know much about), then the cost of the book might be worth it just to read about car maintenace from a real pop star?
How odd, I have just asked Santa for the Complete Kylie Car Maintenance series for Xmas.............he said I should be so lucky.....lucky, lucky, lucky!!.
That girl doesn't mind getting her hands dirty. They are full of hints and tips and the photo's of her doing a Robin Reliant oil change are a delight!

Sorry George, couldn't resist.

Ray

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 08:46 AM »
The Kushi chef only claims to be a Balti expert. We don't know if he knows the first thing about BIR style cooking.
My acronym meant Balti Indian Retaurant  ;)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 09:47 AM »
My acronym meant Balti Indian Retaurant  ;)

I'm sorry I may be making myself unpopular around here, harping on about minor points like definitions and level spoon measures, and generally taking things too seriously. It's just that I feel it's useful if we're all talking a similar language. I assumed everyone took BIR to mean British Indian Restaurant. So if you're serious about meaning Balti Indian Restaurant in this case, it's another example of how one thing can be written, but taken as something different by some readers.

In the case of recipe measures or what's meant by "1 tsp fenugreek", I suggest it could make a difference we don't need between how an author's recipe came out - say 95% like a BIR from the author's point of view - and another member's attempt who may feel it's only 75% as good as a BIR.

Chefs have the skill, I suggest to scoop the correct quantity out on the edge of a big spoon. Recipe authors here have subsequently, I guess, experimented with various attempts to come up with a recipe which works. It would really help if they could measure the amount of ingredients actually used in ml, grams or LEVEL spoon measures, before writing up a recipe.

In the case of "1 tsp fenugreek" I can think of at least 27 interpretations, and there are many more combinations:

1 level tsp fenugreek seeds
1 rounded tsp fenugreek seeds
1 heaped tsp fenugreek seeds

1 level tsp fenugreek seeds - roasted
1 rounded tsp fenugreek seeds - roasted
1 heaped tsp fenugreek seeds - roasted

1 level tsp fenugreek seeds - ground
1 rounded tsp fenugreek seeds - ground
1 heaped tsp fenugreek seeds - ground

1 level tsp fenugreek seeds - ground - then roasted
1 rounded tsp fenugreek seeds - ground - then roasted
1 heaped tsp fenugreek seeds - ground - then roasted

1 level tsp dried fenugreek leaves - loose
1 rounded tsp dried fenugreek leaves - loose
1 heaped tsp dried fenugreek leaves - loose

1 level tsp dried fenugreek leaves -  crushed
1 rounded tsp fenugreek seeds - crushed
1 heaped tsp fenugreek seeds - crushed

1 level tsp dried fenugreek leaves -  crushed - then roasted
1 rounded tsp fenugreek seeds - crushed - then roasted
1 heaped tsp fenugreek seeds - crushed - then roasted

1 level tsp dried fenugreek leaves -  ground
1 rounded tsp fenugreek seeds - ground
1 heaped tsp fenugreek seeds - ground

1 level tsp dried fenugreek leaves -  ground - then roasted
1 rounded tsp fenugreek seeds - ground - then roasted
1 heaped tsp fenugreek seeds - ground - then roasted

Regards
George
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 09:55 AM by George »

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 10:03 AM »
and generally taking things too seriously.
Yes you do  ;D

(And merry Christmas by the way)

©2024 Curry Recipes