Author Topic: Super Christmas Meal  (Read 2174 times)

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Super Christmas Meal
« on: January 03, 2006, 09:01 PM »
Hello folks,

And a happy new year to you all and hope you all had a lovely Christmas.

As I was working over Christmas and didn't have the usual Turkey dinner we booked into a local BIR for a family Xmas Curry on boxing day.

The restaurant called Lazeez, near Keighley is not the best around, just a small restaurant that seat?s about 30 but the food is usually very acceptable and the service second to none.

When we made the booking they asked us if they could make all 12 of us an Indian meal with a "Christmas" theme rather than choose from the standard menu.
We didn't know what we were going to get, instead trusting to luck and they charged us ?18 per head, which was not bad for what they gave us.

We started with the usual variety of plain and spiced Poppadums and Pickles then a variety of mixed starters,Turkey Pakora's, Onion Bhaji's, Sheek Kebabs, Chicken and Prawn Samosa's, Prawn Butterflie's, Raita?s etc etc. Nothing too unusual about that but there was just tons and tons of it.
In fact by the time we had finished this never ending procession of starters we were pretty much stuffed and wondered whether to cancel the rest and scarper!!

They had got us a crate of complimentary Stella even though they don?t sell alcohol so that was a nice touch.

The main course was???. surprise, surprise...........Turkey!

Not just one but TWO massive birds (or were they Ostriches?? ) that had been marinated then slow cooked to what I can only say was perfection. They both came garnished with a variety of things that made the presentation a joy to behold.
They were carved at the table and presented with two curries, Chicken Makhani, a rather rich creamy and buttery dish which complimented the Turkey very well. The other curry was to all intents just a slightly spiced base sauce but reminded me so much of the K.D. base it was a bit uncanny!

There was a third suprise curry which oddly materialised from the rear end of the birds and was spooned onto our plates. This I was told was a special vegetable curry par cooked before hand and finished off inside the bird rather like a wet stuffing. It was beautifully spiced with flavours of Cardamom and Cloves and was warming and aromatic and the vegetables still a bit crunchy??..lovely!!.

The spicing on the outside of the Turkey was similar to Tandoori but rather a brown colour instead of red and the taste was different too. The skin had been removed prior to cooking. It was more aromatic than Tandoori and gave me a feeling this was a more ?home made? recipe than a BIR creation.
The meat was so moist I have never had Turkey like it.

It came with two variety?s of Naan Bread, Chappatti?s, Roti?s and a heap of special rice.
By this time my trousers were creaking fit to burst and I wished I had been born with two stomachs.

It is a shame the beer kicked in so soon as I would have liked half an hour to chat with the chef but we get regular take-aways delivered and I will try to find out what the special spicing was on the Turkey as it was commendable.

We finished with Kulfi or Gulabjamon which I haven?t had for years. They were sweet, warm and sticky and just about finished me off!
There was a choice of Lassi and the usual Coffee and mints just to make sure the indigestion would be garunteed.

The whole experience was fabulous and I would thoroughly recommend it as a change to the usual Turkey Roast at Xmas time.
What we had for the money was just superb and the service they gave commendable.

I must say if we had gone out for an English meal at a local pub it would have been three times the price and not half as enjoyable.

Having to work my Christmas has certainly paid off this year with a feast a Maharaja would be proud of!!
And if that wasn't enough I took home a doggy bag as big as Santa's sack for a re-run the next day at work............sheer luxury!!

Ray

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Super Christmas Meal
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 07:34 PM »
This sounds very similar and along the same lines as a Kurzi Chicken.  This is marinated in yogurt and spices with the skin taken off and then stuffed with a wonderful rice.  Fit for a king and costly too.  They also do legs of lamb marinated in yogurt too, but, without stuffing.  Glad you enjoyed it - I must say that I am fed up with turkey and so therefore had a goose for the main meal.  I also cooked a large turkey crown to shut the rest of the family up.  You got a great deal for the cost.  Will you go again next year?

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 07:47 PM »
Kurzi Chicken....quite superb,have it every Xmas eve in my local restaurant.We had it this year again(for 4 people)and it was excellent.I think our chef enjoys making something a bit different instead of your usual madras and kormas.I even had the chance to go in the kitchen and thank him personally-he had about five pans on the go at the same time when we was talking but I must admit I was more interested in eying up his ingredients on the table rather than chatting!!!!

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 09:39 PM »
Hi All,

Kurzi Chicken?

Now that sounds like something I have heard of before but don't know where from.

I am definately going to find out what it was we had and how they did it as it was superb to say the least. The veg curry they used for a stuffing was not only an original idea to me but kept the turkey moist and it was really tasty in itself.

Curryqueen, is the Lamb dish you mentioned called a "Raan of Lamb" ?
I have a recipe or two for this and it is an Indian speciality and looks absolutely gorgeous. I saw it cooked on the telly once I think on the Dhelli Belly series on Sky???
It seems to have all the ingredients I love and certainly looks like it transforms my favourite meat into a real delicacy.
The only thing is a whole leg of lamb costs a fair bit nowadays and if you get it wrong..................!!!

Nevertheless it is a recipe I am going to try some time as it looks great.

And yes CQ, we will certainly be going next year, in fact we go for a Curry most years at Christmas time.
I can think of nothing more boring nowadays than a Turkey Roast on Christmas Day ( been there, done it and still wear the T-Shirt ) but an Indian meal at this time of year is so different and a breath of fresh air to the norm. I think we should all think of changing our menu at Xmas.

JB, Where is it you go to on Xmas Eve for your meal? Do you think you might quiz the chef next time you see him as to what he does to create that superb dish?

Regards

Ray

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 11:15 PM »
Yes Ray the lamb dish is called Raan of Lamb.  It is marinated in almost the same way as kurzi chicken.  Kurzi lamb has the edition of pistachio nuts, honey and raisins.  The kurzi chicken and raan of lamb you have to order  24 hours before you go to the restaurant.  It takes time to prepare and it costs an arm and a leg.  The kurzi chicken is usually stuffed with a fragrant rice and then cooked.

I usually cook curry of some sort on christmas day.  I get bored after lunch on christmas day and I   have a craving for a nice hot vindaloo or Dupiaza or Pathia, it is tradional for me do this.

Well done to you for taking the initiative - blow the traditional turkey and bring on the bir.  It sounds like you had a fantastic time.

©2024 Curry Recipes