Author Topic: Spot on Tandoori chicken  (Read 1888 times)

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Spot on Tandoori chicken
« on: January 03, 2006, 10:24 PM »
Hi All,

Inspired by the new years resolution to get fit not fat I decided to make some healthy Tandoori Chicken today but made it whole for a change and took the inspiration from the Xmas Curry I recently had which I have described elsewhere.
It has turned out so good and so close to the BIR taste I felt I had to share the results.

This is what I did.

Washed and dried a 3 1/2 lb Chicken

200 mls Plain Yogurt ( about two small pots thick greek )
3 level Tbsps Tandoori Powder ( East End ), more if you like it spicy.
3 Tbsps Lemon Juice
1 level Tbsp Ginger/Garlic Puree
1 level tsp salt

With the exception of the salt none of the above amounts are that critical for success.

Method

Mix the Yogurt, Tandoori Powder and Ginger/Garlic Puree together and set aside.

Poke your fingers under the skin at the rear of the chicken and gently break the skin free from the breast and legs so the skin makes a loose covering and the marinade can be smothered underneath the skin directly onto the meat.
With a thin small knife make three slashes on each exposed breast and one on the outer part of each leg. It is a bit fiddly as the skin gets in the way so be careful you don't leave any fingers behind!

Lift the skin and sprinkle the salt evenly over the exposed breast and legs. Massage the Lemon Juice? over the meat as far as you can.
Massage about 1/3rd the Yogurt/Tandoori mix in the same way covering every part of the exposed meat then rub the rest fairly thickly over the outer skin covering the whole of the outside. Cover in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least a few hours or overnight. Your hands will stink and turn orange but it's all going to be worth it. Wear some Marigolds if you don't want smelly fingers.

Pre-heat the oven to high ( 220 C)

Place Chicken UNCOVERED in a roasting dish, breast side down and cook for 30 mins. Turn it over and cook for a further 30 mins basting with the resulting juices.
At this point it should be fairly dark and crispy with a few scorch marks on the skin.
Turn the oven down a little, cover loosely with foil ( or it may burn ) and cook for a further 45 mins or until a knife pierces it and the juices run clear.

It should be perfect by this time with succulent moist meat and a dry slightly crisp skin, just like the BIR version

Ray

©2024 Curry Recipes