Author Topic: Tava!  (Read 16265 times)

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tava!
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2006, 01:04 PM »
Mark,
how thin were you rolling out the nans?? It will give me an ida of how thin to roll it out...also, how many nan did the recipe make?? I may have to half it since i dont want to freeze anything as I will be traveling alot in the coming days.
Hi Paast,

I rolled them out to about 1/8 of an inch, maybe slightly thicker, it made 2 large nans (each big enough for 2 to share quite happily)

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2006, 01:06 PM »
Thanks Mark.....will try that tonite.

Payal

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2006, 03:06 PM »
I jjst made a sample mini nan for myself and WOW :o!!!!  It tastes like real nan!!!!  No eggy aftertaste!!  I think that is because of the yeast - the last recipe I tried, from the balti videos, used baking powder but no yeast.
The nan came out a bit too done on the bottom - it cooked a bit in the grill oven too so it doesnt need to be cooked so long on the stove top.  The whole thing puffed up.....i think to avoid that, i have to make it different thicknesses - I used a rolling pin and the edges were thicker but the center was the same thickness.
Now, to avoid using flour, use oil!!!  I dropped 1 drop of oil on both sides of the dough ball and then rolled it out using just that!  no flour at all and it worked great!!
The hint of kalonji is great and I wil make some garlic butter to smear on top after it comes out of the oven.
What an amazing technique!!  I highly highly recommend this method using a tawa and the grill oven.
Thanks Mark J!!!

Payal

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2006, 06:45 PM »
Ah yes, actually now you mention it Im sure its oil I have seen tandoor chefs coat their hands in

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2006, 08:15 PM »
Yes, I believe its oil - but i recall them putting water on the side that adheres to the tandoor.  I didnt have to oil the tava each time but it became messy with oil on both hands so I switched to flour - just a quick dip of the dough ball - once - and then i rolled it out - wasnt covered in flour when it was done.  My nans puffed up completely - dont know how to avoid it.
The nans were delicious!!!  I melted some unsalted butter and put some grated garlic in it and heated it for a minute on the stove....then painted this on the nans as they came out of the oven!!  Delicious!!

©2024 Curry Recipes