Author Topic: 100 Best Rolls Royce Base  (Read 5410 times)

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
100 Best Rolls Royce Base
« on: January 08, 2006, 09:12 PM »
Hi Folks,

I have just made the 100 Best Balti's Rolls Royce base today and am a bit bewildered as it seems a bit on the thick side.

I made it directly from the recipe book but it has turned out just like wallpaper paste.
The taste is just as it should be so I can't figure out if I have done something wrong or if this base is meant to be like that. I haven't made it for a while and can't remember if it was like this?

Anyway, the taste is good and I agree with Pete is one of the better bases on the site worth a try.
I will probably water it down slightly before making the final dish.

But what dish should I make from it? Any suggestions would be appreciated, chicken or lamb please!

I have taken a photo so you can see the end result and thanks to the welcome advice from George have re-sized it (I hope) to fit the site page a bit better.

Regards

Ray

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: 100 Best Rolls Royce Base
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 09:42 PM »
It is very much like mine in colour, a lovely Golden Yellow.

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 10:03 PM »
Hi darth,

When I made yours I got it too thick as well.

Maybe I have got a duff measuring jug or on the other hand Yorkshire Water must be like treacle, thar knows tol lad!!!

Ray

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 10:06 PM »
Have you checked out my total revision of the recipe Ray as Ive even put the water content to help out  ;).

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 07:57 AM »
All the "book" recipes come out too thick
Secrets, Pat Chapman, Bruce Edwards,100 Baltis and the Kushi one.
I don't know why
The consistancy, of all the ones I have seen first hand, is very runny (like a cup of tea)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 09:52 AM »
I find that after blending and returning to the heat all the bases I make become to thick, at this point while its reheating I add boiling water to get that runny consistancy.

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 11:40 AM »
Thanks for that folks.

At least I know I am still on the right tracks. I will water it down a bit first.

On the program Joy of Curry yesterday they showed quite a few chefs taking the base gravy from the huge pots on the cooker and the consistency of that was not as runny as tea but more like a pourable custard but more textured, certainly not as thick as mine was yesterday.

Thanks for the revised edition of your base Darth. It is going on my list for a further try as it was a very good one.

Ray

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 10:34 PM »

On the program Joy of Curry yesterday

Hi Ray,

I haven't seen this Joy Of Curry Program of which you speak.

Can you tell me where I can catch it please mate.

Cheers Ray,

Blondie

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 06:32 AM »
Hi Blondie,

It seemed to be a one off program last week on Sky. It may well have been a repeat from a year or so back. It was narrated by Neil Morrisey and on that particular day ( Sunday ) was repeated about three times.
It did have a few interesting moments and a lot of clips taken in the restaurant kitchens which were interesting particularly the Heinz Tomato Soup going into the C.T.M.!
I haven't seen it advertised since but if it comes on again I will record it and burn it to D.V.D. in case anyone wants a copy.

Regards

Ray

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 09:09 AM »
It did have a few interesting moments and a lot of clips taken in the restaurant kitchens which were interesting particularly the Heinz Tomato Soup going into the C.T.M.!

I can't help wondering if they were playing to the gallery here, by using Heinz tomato soup only whilst the TV cameras were there.  It fits the classic story of how CTM was invented, even if the kitchen would never normally use it.

Regards
George
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 04:35 PM by George »

©2024 Curry Recipes