Author Topic: The Joy of Curry  (Read 6036 times)

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
The Joy of Curry
« on: January 08, 2006, 09:25 PM »
Did anyone see the program "Joy of Curry" this afternoon on Sky's UK TV Food channel?

It was narrated by Neil Morrisey and was a fairly entertaining hour of Curry history, how it came to Britain, how the BIR method of cooking evolved and how more Indian Restaurants are now moving away from the red carpet, flock wallpaper traditions we have all been used to. As well as a few interviews with personalities and well known British chefs it was informative and brought back a few good memories of days gone by in my local curry houses.

They discussed the CTM as being the number one curry favourite and showed a chef part way preparing one in a restaurant kitchen in which he was adding.....................Heinz Tomato Soup!!!
One or two being interviewed recalled their CTM tasting just like Tomato soup!! Can think of nothing worse.

Anyway for those of you wanting to see it they are repeating it at Midnight tonight, same channel.

Ray

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: The Joy of Curry
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 10:17 PM »
Thanks,

if i can stay awake i look forward to it.

graeme.

Offline deelay

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 10:42 PM »
Heinz Tomato Soup ;D i read somewhere people have put ketchup in their Curry's, i gave it a go once but never tasted any difference , also brownsauce but ill gave that 1 a miss i think.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 11:22 PM »
I use Passata for many Curries. I would consider using Tomato soup.

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 12:38 AM »
Have seen tomato soup used in a lot fo butter chicken recipes .

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 04:45 AM »
Heinz Tomato Soup ;D i read somewhere people have put ketchup in their Curry's, i gave it a go once but never tasted any difference , also brownsauce but ill gave that 1 a miss i think.

Hi deelay,

Yes, dear old Pat Chapman, bless his curried socks uses Tomato Ketchup in some of his recipes from the olden days!! Mind you he seems to use all sorts of crap we wouldn't dream of making curries with!

Ray

Offline deelay

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 10:59 PM »

Hi deelay,

Yes, dear old Pat Chapman, bless his curried socks uses Tomato Ketchup in some of his recipes from the olden days!! Mind you he seems to use all sorts of crap we wouldn't dream of making curries with!

Ray

My first ever curry was Heinz Big Soup then throw every spice you can lay your hands on top, so you cannot see the Big Soup anymore stir and simmer for 30 mins.
Do not try this althou it tasted quite good at the time ( a few beers are needed to wash it down)

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 06:17 PM »
In my student days I once cooked a curry with instant coffee in it, not to be recommended? ;D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 11:08 PM by Mark J »

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 07:52 PM »
How many Sugars in ya Curry Mark ?  ;D

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 11:09 PM »
It did have some sugar in as well, it was one of those bung everything to hand in, literally!

©2024 Curry Recipes