Author Topic: curry gravy from rajver(biddenden) revisited  (Read 35005 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: curry gravy from rajver(biddenden) revisited
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2008, 07:10 AM »
Curry King,

worcester sauce - where did you get the idea

i make mexican chilli a lot and use it then. it sort of gives a sweet smokey taste which i felt missing in the madras compared to BIR. u don't need very much just a horizontal splash of the bottle. in comparing like for like the madras is better with than without.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2008, 07:22 AM »
Gary,

jeepers  ;D - i'm going to have to trace my steps (just for interest) to see how this luxury version came about. i 100% thought i was sticking to your recipe. I can?t take any glory it?s all down to u and the rajver chef?s.

the trouble is it's going to be very difficult to change - the base is really top notch. i will try the revisited just for interest and remain sceptic at the 1hr cooking (albeit the ifindforu is equally as quick).

madras recipe link would be good as this is the dish i make most.

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2008, 08:43 PM »
hi jerrym
found the recipe i think can't find the original posting may be lost in the change around, been trying to copy and paste whats happened now all i get is that silly clipboard and trying to paste the bloody link ..... >:( frustrating  or what!

anyway here goes this is the page it is on  you will have to look for my woodpecker post sorry

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,1454.0.html

regards
gary
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 09:23 AM by Admin »

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2008, 08:49 PM »
hi admin the link does not work it say it cannot be found on this site, please help

jerrym it is posted under the heading of best sauces

gary

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2008, 10:12 AM »
thanks gary - got the madras recipe.

will try out next. it's pretty close to what i'm doing so far (the difference being that i need to include onion, ginger, pinch garam, lemon juice). the pinch of garam is particularly interesting- will also buy the rajah as i now swear buy their curry powder. i also note there is no what i call spice mix (paprika,coriander,cumin - the salt & chilli being added directly) which is surprising.

have also pinned down the following link where the rajver luxury sauce started life

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2041.0.html

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2008, 04:55 AM »
Could anyone clarify how much a UK "bunch" of Coriander is?

I've bought "bunches" that are no more than 15 stalks, and "bunches" that are small bushes.

Thanks,
Josh

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2008, 08:10 AM »
i've used "small" bunch from supermarket (asda i think 20g) and "large" bunch from local Asian store (~100g). i don't feel the qty (weight) to be critical - it's the inclusion of at least some fresh coriander that's important (and I mean very).

i would say the large bunch dia when clenched to be about 1".

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2008, 04:07 PM »
Reading through this thread, there seems to be a few different Rajver recipes mentioned (original, revisited, JerryM's modified...)

Which one is considered the 'de facto' Rajver base recipe?

And how much is a "tin" of tomatoes. 14oz? 28oz?

Thanks!

--- Josh

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2008, 06:20 PM »
tin of toms is 14 oz in the uk.

which one to make - i believe all will amaze. i've only made the "combined" or "error/delux" version. i have the revisited on my to do list (also a visit to the place when I next get a free day, passport stamped ? to cross the hills/pennies and no kids).

i don't put the 5 chilli's in (only 1 off dried red) but that's down to personal preference.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2008, 01:27 AM »
Help!

Is this the latest recipe for the Rajver base:

If so there's a lot of measures missing.

i did ask how he makes his base sauce he said fill the pot to the top with onions 15 ltr pot cook for 1 1/2 hours with salt water and veg oil add green peppers fresh tomatoes ( i assume they slice the skin off and use this for the onion salad as well, waste nothing) curry powder, turmeric and .........coconut milk! cook for another 1 1/2 hours and then blend i guess. the gravy looks like most i have seen in colour and is quite runny. i have heard somewhere that the runnier the sauce the better it will be but have yet to try it out. i did make a sauce the other night had no fresh tomatoes i could use so had to use tom puree ( did not have 15 litre pot or the onions to fill one so used 5 large onions  chopped finely 1 heaped dsp tom puree,2 large garlic cloves, 1 green pepper, 3 green chillies ,1 carrot chopped, 3/4 tbsp salt 250ml veg oil a palmful fresh coriander and hot water 1 ltr , 2dsp rajah madras curry powder 1tbsp turmeric. cooked onions and garlic and salt with 2tbsp veg oil 5tbsp water with lid on for about 50 mins then added chillies, pepper,carrot,coriander,tomato puree and the rest of the water and oil mix well and fast simmer for 30 mins just until the carrots are cooked then add the curry powder and turmeric stir in well ( because i didnot have any coconut milk i put in 1 tbsp of creamed coconut) and simmer for 20 mins. take off the heat and blend. i added a littlie more hot water to make slightly runnier soup consistency. used to make chicken vindaloo very nice i just don't have the heat to make the most of this.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

-- Josh

©2024 Curry Recipes