Author Topic: curry gravy from rajver(biddenden) revisited  (Read 35000 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: curry gravy from rajver(biddenden) revisited
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2008, 08:06 AM »
i don't think that's the right direction (v.good reading though)

the revisited recipe is at the start of this post.

the text u've highlighted is what got me going in the wrong "right" direction in the 1st place resulting in the slight derivative http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,720.msg22787.html#msg22787

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2008, 11:14 AM »
Thanks Jerry.

Any reason why you upped the spice measures from a dessertspoon to a tablespoon?

-- Josh

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2008, 05:19 PM »
Josh,

had not realised i had changed from dsp to tbsp - probably just down to error - i only have a proper measuring spoon for tsp (5ml) and tbsp (15ml) and possibly just felt the volume of base would stand the extra.

Nb i only use 1 tsp of turmeric - but this just down to personal preference although i am growing to like the stuff.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2008, 12:25 PM »
Hi,

Can you tell me what green Chillis to use please? Birdseye or just normal medium green chillis?  :)

Regards

Bob

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2008, 10:43 AM »
Bob,

i don't feel the type of chilli would make much difference. i've not actually used green - i have a big bag of dried red chillies and use these pretty much all the time. i only put 1 off chilli in the base c/w 5 off to spec. i don't like too much chilli in the base preferring to add chilli at the main recipe cooking/frying stage.

if i was going to use green then i would go for the thick "normal" as i find the birdseye too hot (spot on in jalfrezi though). i would also take the seeds out.

Offline asbestos mouth

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2009, 09:00 PM »
hi all thought i would re-post the recipe for the curry gravy from my local as maybe there are a few people having joined this forum that may actually try this very good sauce. to date i believe that stew( admin) was the only one who posted that he tried it but changed the recipe because he & the rest of the forum were sceptical of the use of garam masala in the base.

this sauce was tried by a guy @ my work place he and his wife went off got all the ingredients in preparation to cook the next day.but when they got home they were so excited they made the sauce  from scratch followed to the letter.and then used the methods to make madras from curryhouse cookery.90mins later they were both sitting down to eat their meal.then next day he came in and he told me they couldnot have believed how good it was. he used to contribute approx ?2000 a year to his local restaurant now he has atleast 1-2 a week that he just has to go to his refridgerator and in 20 mins he has a restaurant quality curry. my other claim to the quality of this sauce is another friend who i gave KD's base recipe for and his wife thought he had been to the takeaway, but once i had given him the recipe from my local he was even more impressed and so were his family and friend sso much so he was talked into doing a curry for 50 people and again this sauce was a big hit even though all he did was make a chicken curry, i could go on and on like Darth(regarding feedback from friends ;D)

all i'm saying is try it (sensing alittle deja vu!)

ingredients
4 large onions
1 green pepper
1 carrot (4-6in)
5 green chillies
1/2 tin of tomatoes blended
1 cup of veg oil(standard coffee cup)
1/2 bunch of fresh coriander
3/4 litre of water
chop all ingredients put in pot boil for 30 mins

remove from heat add(these spices are your curry powder to use with the final curries)

2dsp turmeric
1 dsp chilli powder
1dsp ground coriander
1dsp cummin
1dsp yes here it is garam masala
mix well return to heat for 30 mins on simmer with lid onstirring occassionally. and there you have it remove the oil from the top before blending then return it to the  sauce oh just blend to the consistency of puree for no more than a minute. if you have precooked you chicken and rice in the time for the sauces cooking time you will have cooked base form scratch to final dish in 90mins max. you can use this with any of the final recipes on this forum and don't be put off because  there is no garlic/ginger in the base all i ask is for someone to try you will not be disappointed.

good luck to all. be open minded

regards gary
i probably sound dumb but when you say these spices are to be used as your curry powder in your final curry, does this mean that if there is curry powder required in a curry and i use this base gravy do i leave out the curry powder

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2009, 02:42 AM »
i probably sound dumb but when you say these spices are to be used as your curry powder in your final curry, does this mean that if there is curry powder required in a curry and i use this base gravy do i leave out the curry powder

Not dumb at all AM, it isn't particularly clear is it? 

Subject to Gary's (Woodpecker's) confirmation, I presume that the blend of spices Gary details is what some people might call a "spice mix" (or "mix powder" or "curry powder" or "masala"). 

I think Gary is saying to (also) use this blend of spices if his final curry recipe calls for a "spice mix" (or "curry powder", etc)  to be used.

Alternative "spice mixes" can be found here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=28.0

...and welcome to cr0  8)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2009, 07:26 AM »
asbestos mouth,

i too understand it as CA say's. i tend to use other spice mixes though in the curries (Kushi, DD, BE, LB as examples). i don't like the idea of having the garam Masala in with the spice mix. i'm not particularly keen on GM full stop (the East End is the best i've come across). i do add it to the base as per the recipe though.

this link may also be of interest http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=720.msg22787#msg22787

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2009, 05:24 PM »
Hi, just stealing a few moments to brouse the site and found this thread. Having just recently moved into the general area where this restaurant seems to be,I wondered if it still existed and if Gary,i.e. Parker21 was still involved with the site. Cheers PP

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2009, 05:38 PM »
Hi, just stealing a few moments to brouse the site and found this thread. Having just recently moved into the general area where this restaurant seems to be,I wondered if it still existed and if Gary,i.e. Parker21 was still involved with the site. Cheers PP

its still there PP

©2024 Curry Recipes