Author Topic: Hello from Spain  (Read 5842 times)

Offline nige52

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hello from Spain
« on: January 23, 2006, 04:05 PM »
Hi folks,
My names Nige, I'm 54 this week and I've been an Indian curry addict since I was 18 maybe? I've lived in the Midlands all my life until moving to Spain 6 years ago, I'm still an addict and in a few minutes will be making another curry. On average I eat 5 or 6 a week, I'm not asked any more what I want for my tea, I'm just asked which one? ;D
I've only just found this site and didn't realise that there were so many like minded individuals out there. I've tried making 'Authentic' curries, but to be honest, I much prefer restaurant style meals which I have difficulty in replicating. My problem is I started going to Indian resaurants when the curries were dark, rich and full of flavours that to me were hypnotic and addictive, just as if they contained an ingredient that enticed you back a couple of days later......I can still taste the Omar Khayam's Chicken madras from 1970.............
Anyway, I caused a stir in the Express and Star, Wolverhamptons evening newspaper about 15 years ago when I sent in an article about how Indian restaurants curries had changed since the onslaught of fast cooked Balti houses, not saying that Balti's weren't as good, I was just bemoaning the fact that because Balti houses meals were much cheaper, the Indian restaurants were having a hard time competing and had started to cut corners with their cooking in an attempt to rival the Balti's.....Phew....didn't that bring a response....the E & S were swamped with readers letters agreeing with me and there were lots from curry houses offering for me to try their meals...I even had Peter Rhodes, the features editor come knocking my door asking me to do a weekly article on curries! No chance, they wanted to take my picture to put a face to a name, what? So that every take away I visited in the future could 'add' a little extra to my meal, I think not.......OK, thats me over with, I'll try to add a couple of my own recipes to the pile.
Best wishes,
Nige

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Spain
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 04:18 PM »
Hi Nige,

Welcome aboard and what a great story I look forward to seeing your recipes  8)

Cheers
cK

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 02:30 PM »
Hi Nige, you are now home  ;D

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 04:32 PM »
"My problem is I started going to Indian resaurants when the curries were dark, rich and full of flavours that to me were hypnotic and addictive, just as if they contained an ingredient that enticed you back a couple of days later......I can still taste the Omar Khayam's Chicken madras from 1970............."

Hi Nige,

I know just the curry you mean! When I came out of the restaurant after eating a curry I felt "spaced out" and all legal as well!
We now know it is the ceratonin in the chillies that causes this reaction and makes you feel like that ( stoned! ), and also explains why we want to go back for more..............it is definately addictive!

Welcome to this little curry haven!

Is there anything like spices etc you have trouble buying in Spain or is it all easy to come by?

Ray

Offline nige52

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 11:57 AM »
No, we can get pretty much anything here, especially as there is an upsurge in British shops selling spices etc. My only problem is Coriander, it's hard to buy fresh here and I'm no gardener really. I'll have to try harder this year ;D
Nige

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 11:11 PM »
Hi Nige,

There are a few places over here that sell fresh Coriander which is minced in jars which is at least an alternative to fresh. Perhaps you might know a few people back here in the U.K. that can get a few jars in their suitcase next time they come over to see you.

Regards

Ray

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 11:45 PM »
Hi Nige ,
Have you tried looking for coriander in Spain by its other traditional name....cilantro ?

CC

Offline nige52

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 04:46 PM »
We can buy minced coriander, I have some in the fridge but to me it's not the same as fresh leaf, it seems to have lost it's potency and smell by being bottled. It is possible to buy fresh bunches off the markets and yes, it's called Cilantro here but it's not very popular so only the odd stall may have a few bunches, if you're lucky.
Nige

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 05:18 PM »
Why don't you try gowing your own:

http://www.selfsufficientish.com/coriander.htm

I manged to keep a shop bought plant going for a few months last summer  ;)

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 11:49 AM »
I wash and chop the fresh coriander and then put it in a plastic ziploc bag in the freezer.  I take out what I need and it is as god as fresh!

©2024 Curry Recipes