Author Topic: Takeaway visit with answers  (Read 13554 times)

Offline CurryCrazy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Takeaway visit with answers
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2011, 11:27 PM »

Just a point about oil recycling.
Many chef's, whilst cooking the individual curries will spoon off excess oil from any particular dish, straight back into the curry base pot.
This is deliberate and just a normal cooking reflex. But quite a bit added flavour, when you think about it.

Not seen myself but good point.

Got me thinking :o. When the pot of base gravy is almost finished, what happens to the last bit in the bottom....Is this poured into the next batch?? If that happens the cumulative effect would be hard to reproduce at home.....

Phil

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2011, 06:22 AM »

Just a point about oil recycling.
Many chef's, whilst cooking the individual curries will spoon off excess oil from any particular dish, straight back into the curry base pot.
This is deliberate and just a normal cooking reflex. But quite a bit added flavour, when you think about it.

Not seen myself but good point.

Got me thinking :o. When the pot of base gravy is almost finished, what happens to the last bit in the bottom....Is this poured into the next batch?? If that happens the cumulative effect would be hard to reproduce at home.....

Phil

Very good initial post this and well done for getting access to some great info.When I had my take-away lesson the chef litterally tipped his base sauce pan on its side to get the last liqued out into his dish(he was making a madras at the time).The dirty empty pan was then put to one side for washing up later.He then put another base sauce on the stove and as he began to heat it the oil began to appear on the top.Obviously other places may be different but there was no cumulative effect in this place.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2011, 11:32 AM »
Thanks for the tip chewy, well its down to the base and me now, i have the ingredients and i have the powder, the base i have got is a lot darker,deeper and sweeter than previously when i've used it. Im cooking tomorrow so will see if its a) better than previous attempts b) the same (not quite there flavour) or c) exactly what my tastebuds are after, if its not right then i'm back asking questions and trying your base :)

Thanks again

Wayne

Jury's out then :).  Look forward to the feedback and what your conclusions are Whandsy and the next steps ;D.  It's a thread like this that fetches the forum alive again.  It's like a feeding frenzy when a post goes up about actually getting behind the scenes and into where the "magic" happens ::)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2011, 10:07 PM »
7) they cook their tomato puree with garlic before allowing to cool to add yet more flavour.

Maybe next time you visit Whandsy you can ask how exactly do they do this and how much different does it smell and taste from the ordinary puree ;)

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2011, 10:39 PM »
7) they cook their tomato puree with garlic before allowing to cool to add yet more flavour.

Maybe next time you visit Whandsy you can ask how exactly do they do this and how much different does it smell and taste from the ordinary puree ;)

No problem curryhell, to save time and effort i have just bought some tom puree from the supermarket with added garlic, may need to try it watered down though as tastes a bit too garlicky

As regards my curry from friday night, i made a schoolboy error and it p**sed me off no end. I decided to make another batch of gravy and adopted some of chewys techniqes ie rolling boil and skimming off etc. The error i made was because the smell and depth of flavour was so good, i was impatient to use it and i didn't let it cool enough and because of this, it hadn't had chance to thicken properly so i didnt add enough water back in to thin it down. I left it "keeping warm" for about 4 hrs as well so was a lovely burnt orange texture. I was so convinced it was the real deal i went ahead and used it whereas i knew it should have been left!!
The result was good but wasn't right because the base flavour was too deep and a bit thick.
Yet another lesson learnt!!
I cant wait to make another batch as i'm convinced its close but "er indoors" is sick to the back teeth of curry smell so wants me to wait a few days 1st.

My next process of elimination however is on my next visit i'm gonna get a tray of just the base sauce and see if i can produce the results i need. That way i'll have the mix powder, the gravy and ive watched them cook it. If i can't get that right then i know its my technique, heat strength, spice frying etc. If i can reproduce it then i know its just the gravy.

This search for perfection is driving me crackers!! Oh well, at least i'm not alone  :'(

Wayne

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2011, 11:00 PM »
He he, Wayne,

So much of this post mirrors my experiences too,

such as this;
i made a schoolboy error and it p**sed me off no end

and this;
I cant wait to make another batch as i'm convinced its close but "er indoors" is sick to the back teeth of curry smell

and this;
This search for perfection is driving me crackers!!

Don't just love this currying lark? :o

Ray :)

©2024 Curry Recipes