Author Topic: Carrots and Celery in curries??  (Read 13611 times)

Offline nige52

• Chef
    • View Profile
Carrots and Celery in curries??
« on: January 26, 2006, 12:59 PM »
Hi,
   Looking through the recipes, I notice that a lot of the basic sauces/gravy's have carrots and even celery thrown in before being pureed...I have to be honest, up till this last week, I'd never heard of it before. I'm certainly going to try it though, what does it add to the gravy? Is it taste or colouring or both?
Sorry for having to ask such basic questions but I've been stuck in my ways and methods for so long now...... :o
Cheers,
Nige

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Carrots and Celery in curries??
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 01:05 PM »
I was under the impression carrot and also potato's can be used to thicken the gravy up rather than add any significant taste, not so sure about celery I have tried it but didn't notice a major difference.

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 05:28 PM »
Hi,

Carrots and green pepper I favour in the base sauce.  Once you have made your gravy, with plenty of oil in it to extract at the end, puree and you will really smell the presence of the pepper in the sauce.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 05:33 PM »
I use Carrots,Celery & Green peppers in my base sauce. ;D

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 05:38 PM »
puree and you will really smell the presence of the pepper in the sauce.

Agree on the green pepper, one thing I would never leave out of a base sauce.

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 05:56 PM »
I think carrots add a slight sweetness to the gravy and celery is like mono sodium glutamate (so ive read) which just means it will enhance flavours, ie make the flavours stronger in taste, cant say i know if this really works or not, but carrot definately gives a sweeter more rounded taste, maybe its the starches turning to sugar? Has carrot much starch? Its great to experiment with, without risking the final taste unless youre putting them in by the bucket load. gl :)

Offline nige52

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 06:12 PM »
Well I'm all for something new and as I'd never dreamt of using them before, except in a stew that is, I'll be giving them a whirl in my next one, Saturday probably  :D
Nige

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 10:46 PM »
Hi Nige,

I must say I was a bit sceptical about these types of veg going into a base sauce. Yet I know for a fact a local BIR put in loads of vegetables into their base as I have seen the pot with different vegetables in it.

Bruce Edwards base sauce uses Carrots, Celery, Green and Red Peppers and is one of the more recommended sauces on this site. I have made it myself and must say it produces curry dishes worthy of comment.

Do give it a try and let us know what you think.

Ray

©2024 Curry Recipes