Author Topic: Hi from the USA Midwest  (Read 3415 times)

Offline UK/Canadian in USA

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hi from the USA Midwest
« on: January 28, 2006, 02:04 AM »
Originally from England (Midlands) moved to Canada in 1995 and then to the USA in 2003.

While we're all here trying to "crack the recipe" for the perfect BIR curry you gotta wonder how Indian restaurant chefs have kept their recipes such a closely guarded secret for so long.
Put it this way, there are some 8 or 10 Indian restaurants within a 30 minute drive of my house here in the USA Midwest and yet if you close your eyes you'd swear you were eating in an Indian restaurant back in England. Yes, they taste identical here.

How then does the secret travel 3,500 miles across the pond and still stay a secret??
It's not like all the Indian chefs on both sides can be related eh??

I’ve been working on the Curry Guzzler recipe for the Curry Base and it gets a bit better each time. The texture, consistency and smell are close to 100% whereas the taste I would say is about a 50%. They taste a little bland, like there’s just something missing. My guess is that it’s a case of experimenting with different spice mixes.

Anyway, glad to be here and looking forward to reading and sharing thoughts.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from the USA Midwest
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 06:17 AM »
Hi, hope this site gives you a little taste of home.
You should find yourself improving dramatically as you trawl through this site & use some of the methods & ingredients etc..etc..
All the best .....DARTHPHALL..... :)

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 05:02 PM »
Utilizing an excellent base sauce ( I use Darths & Bruce Edwards ) is the way to go . There are numerous spice blends on this forum that you can try and of course the addition of spiced oil is key to that elusive flavor . Good hunting !

CC

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 11:07 PM »
Hello,

And welcome to the site.

If you don't get the answers you want from here I shall be very surprised............this place has it all!!

Get stuck in and enjoy your curry experience.

Ray

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 10:58 PM »
Hi, UK/Canadian!? Whereabouts in the Midwest are you?? I'm from the Chicago area, and learned to love Indian food on Devon Avenue many years ago.? So many of my favorite restaurants are gone now, sigh.? I'm gone, too, now in New Jersey.? But we have some good Indian food here, so can't complain.?

-Mary? ? ?

Offline UK/Canadian in USA

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 12:40 AM »
I'm in the Indianapolis area.

There's about 8 or so Indian restaurants in and around the Indy area so we do fairly well.

The food tastes identical to BIR's too which is why they are popular.

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 05:58 PM »
Oh, Indy's a nice town!  My husband was there on business just last week.  He usually has to go there twice a year, so if you have any recommendations, he'd appreciate it.  We once ate at an Indian rest. in the Broadripple area, but that was years ago, and all I remember is getting lost trying to find it. ::) 

-Mary

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 07:44 AM »
Hello & welcome

©2024 Curry Recipes