Author Topic: CA's Korma  (Read 3155 times)

Offline bmouthboyo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
CA's Korma
« on: December 11, 2011, 11:27 AM »
Hi Guys,

In process of videoing a few of my curries to try and get tips etc so sorry for the influx lol

CA Chicken Korma Curry - Takeaway Standard

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Korma
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 03:26 AM »
Hi BMB,

Well done for making the (not inconsiderable) effort to try these recipes and to make videos of you cooking them and then posting them  8)

I'm surprised hardly anyone has yet commented on them!  :o  Far too preoccupied with "spam" and "pre-moderation" I suppose   ;)

All looks pretty good to me.  But you might try reducing the time, at each stage, so that your total cooking time is around 6 - 7 minutes. 

For example, I probably spend less than a minute to "stir fry" the uncooked chicken until it is just white on the outside.  But that's my fault because I do say "a couple of minutes" in my recipe!   :o

Likewise, I would probably simmer the final curry for considerably less than 5 minutes (not 10 minutes) in the final stage.

I would generally increase the heat to get the result I want in less time.

My "timings", in my recipes, appear to over estimated!   ???

You might want to try using a more conventional (i.e. wrt BIRs) aluminium pan to avoid those black bits coming off your wok?

I'd be interested to hear others' comments on your videos....

Great videos!  Thanks again for posting them!  8)

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 01:40 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Spencerman

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 06:29 PM »
Well, I am surprised that there are not many replies.  There are two main points that I would make, not exactly a criticism, but more of a point for criticism, if that makes sense.  I am not familiar with that particular recipe myself, as I have not yet tried it, in fact today is the first time that I have looked for a Korma recipe.  I looked at the video as I thought that was a great idea, as if you go wrong somewhere then someone will point that out etc. and maybe I will learn something that way also.  The trouble is, that because I am not familiar with that recipe it is difficult for me to know what you are doing.  A simple narrative, such as 'now I add 1 teaspoon of Turmaric' would be really helpful, that way if you add something incorrectly, or add more of something for some reason, ie. 'I am adding a bit more cream as it is going stodgy' then that would help to know what you are doing and be able to correct or understand.  The other point would be that you should really include a link to the recipe along with the video, that way I can watch the video, and click on the link for the recipe so that I can read what you are doing in stages without having to search about to try and find it.

Other than that, and that is not really a huge criticism, just more like a pointer, as was said before I wouldnt have simmerred the last stage for quite as long, and I wouldnt have fried the chicken at the start but boiled it for a few mins to cook before hand, but it still looked fine to me.  In fact having watched the video I shall probably give that recipe a try, as you showed it to be very easy to do, minimal prep time needed etc., that is a quick and easy curry to cook, so hopefully it is a nice tasty one too.  :)

Thank you for taking the time and effort to film what you have done, and to do it in one shot from start to finish so that you can see just how quick and easy it is to do, some people might say that is boring because who wants to watch a pot simmer for 5 minutes, but it shows the truth about how long it takes and how it looks whilst it does so.  I personally hate recording a narrative, or narrating as I go, as I feel stupid doing it, but it really is something that would enhance your video, and it can be as simple as 'now I am going to leave it for 8 minutes' rather than feeling like you have to talk about stuff for 8 minutes like they do on tv.  :)

Offline bmouthboyo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 09:40 PM »
Hi Spencerian, thank you very much for your feedback. Your right about needing a narrative, but I felt a bit of a plonked as we are in a house share lol. If I had the time I would have added on screen text instead, but I intend to make some more complete videos in the future.  I hope you enjoyed the Korma, CA has some great recipes.

Offline Spencerman

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 10:35 PM »
I tried this recipe, and have tried it again scince, and it is really really good.  It is really simple, therefor really easy, and yields a great result.  I gave some to a friend to try and his response was that it was f*ing awesome.  I think that about sums it up.  I shall be cooking this at the weekend once again (I shall be getting sick of Korma soon, Phal will be next!) as I shall be entertaining and this seems the perfect all round dish and is easy for me to knock up.  Thanks CA.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 10:56 PM »
Phall is the perfect all rounder if you're entertaining a group of fire eaters. I love the stuff. I wouldn't put it on my dinner party menu though ;)

Offline Spencerman

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 07:11 PM »
LOL, I meant that I would be cooking Korma again as I was entertaining, Phall would be next, and was next, and was thoroughly enjoyed as well.  Korma again tomorrow!!!  :-)

©2024 Curry Recipes