Author Topic: Chicken Madras Video Recipe - for lunch.  (Read 68741 times)

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Madras Video Recipe - for lunch.
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2014, 11:41 AM »
made to spec - very disappointed in it, prob a regional thing - will stick to the Glasgow curries

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2014, 05:28 PM »
made to spec - very disappointed in it, prob a regional thing - will stick to the Glasgow curries

Why did you think it wasn't up to much gazman? For me the lemon, worcester and kashmiri ruined it.

Offline superspark

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2014, 10:54 AM »
Hi Lads, I've been using this video for inspiration and cooking techniques for the last two years now. The simplicity of the recipe
is absolute genius, and the flavours - to me - hit the spot. I would recommend ANY beginner to watch this video, just for the
cooking techniques alone - the singing of the spices, leaving the sauce to roast etc. As Chewy says, this is from WAY back, so
maybe the Madras has evolved a bit since then, and it's not to every ones liking, but to my understanding, lemon IS an ingredient
of Madras, and its up to your own taste what strength and brand of Chilli powder you use - so what is your take on a Madras
Secret Santa and Gazman?

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2014, 12:35 PM »

Why did you think it wasn't up to much gazman? For me the lemon, worcester and kashmiri ruined it.

Yeah all those 3, the base also didn't give me results , obviously a regional thing but will be sticking to the 3.5KG Glasgow base from now on as I get great results with it

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2014, 12:37 PM »
Hi Lads, I've been using this video for inspiration and cooking techniques for the last two years now. The simplicity of the recipe
is absolute genius, and the flavours - to me - hit the spot. I would recommend ANY beginner to watch this video, just for the
cooking techniques alone - the singing of the spices, leaving the sauce to roast etc. As Chewy says, this is from WAY back, so
maybe the Madras has evolved a bit since then, and it's not to every ones liking, but to my understanding, lemon IS an ingredient
of Madras, and its up to your own taste what strength and brand of Chilli powder you use - so what is your take on a Madras
Secret Santa and Gazman?

my take on a madras is that it should be hot in taste and flavoursome, you should get the flavour first then directly afterwards feel the burn, methi Is a key ingredient where I am from in Glasgow, just tasted wrong when I cooked it to spec, as I said its probably a regional thing

Offline Welsh in America

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2014, 02:13 AM »
Hi Chewy

So I'm a 100% Newbie to BIR Cooking, never even heard of the term until Saturday when I was browsing YouTube for recipes.

Curries in America just don't cut it and I found this site searching Bengali Curries in the UK...What a find, I'm so happy that when I get it down I won't have to wait every 18 months to have a good curry.

I'd never heard of a curry base before, so made your 3 hr one last night.

I followed your Madras recipe as close as I could today trying to watch your video in real time.

The taste was fantastic but I buggered up the sauce as it reduced a lot.
My Mrs is a vegetarian so I took some of the sauce from my pan and transferred it to another to cook her paneer in.

As I said, the taste was really spot on and my American Mrs says that it was better than Indian food that she has had here (She loves Indian Food and eats it at least once a week).

So I just wanted to thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Paul (Welsh exile of 12 years).

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2014, 03:23 PM »
Hi Paul
Nice One, glad this worked for you and the Mrs, also thanks for the honest report.
Once you

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2014, 07:54 PM »
you don't seem to be cooking hot enough to create the 'singeing' what do you think Chewy ? I am only trying to establish when this 'singeing' takes place  :)
The singeing all happens between 1.00min - 2.00min

Don't quite understand how your not grasping this my friend, as it's a good example of the technique.

I'm sorry I'm many months late noticing this 'singeing' debate.

My take is that emin-J grasps it, and CT does not. My opinion is that so-called 'singeing' is a complete myth. The video seems correct in following the practice used by many BIR chefs in following up the spices within a second or two with quite a bit of liquid from various sources. It must have the effect of cooling the spices with no chance of any singeing unless you let the pan dry out.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2014, 01:52 AM »
Your welcome and welcome to the forum Paul. ;)

Glad you had success on your first try and most importantly keeping the Mrs happy.  8)

Enjoy your curry journey and ignore the trolls and nut jobs who infect this and all forums.
We have a lot of one post wonders and can't-cooks posting at the moment.  ???

cheers Chewy

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2014, 02:09 PM »
Bookmarked your Vimeo page, CT- thinks could well be the dog's necessaries, looking forward to it. Will try and post photos. Cheers!

©2024 Curry Recipes