Author Topic: Chicken Madras Video Recipe - for lunch.  (Read 68744 times)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Madras Video Recipe - for lunch.
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2012, 11:53 AM »
That looks the business SD.   Mmmm, i suppose depending on where you get it you could call it a madras.  In some areas it would be well into the phall category ;D.  Using those chilli powders in your curries guarantees a nice vibrant colour.  I used deghi mirch in one of my phall attemps when i got back from Fleet and it definitely was "red for danger"  ;D. I've made CT's excellent 3 hour base but i've yet to make the madras, not normally being my curry of choice.  Unfortunately for me, it does seem to be the "yardstick" everybody uses to measure the rate of success.  Maybe i'll do this one evening during the week with my Zaal base ::)

I should add that I only use this quantity of chilli when cooking for my own phal pulverised palate. When making it for my loved ones it's made to spec with the one tablespoon. (I know, I know - considerate and 'Mr Nice Guy' just doesn't begin to cut it... ;)

I don't know about others, but I find big (sometimes massive) variations in heat levels from different restaurants (as well as variations from the same restaurant). I've had Madras curries that wouldn't trouble a toddler and others that require a drip tray to catch your sweat and the laying in of extra supplies of post event Velvet Moist.

I suspect that on occasions a busy chef with four dishes on the burners may find his spoon picking up less/more chilli powder than is called for, hence the variation.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:24 AM by Salvador Dhali »

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2012, 12:06 PM »
Hi SD

Agreement from me, looks superb. Good picture as well :)

W

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2012, 08:27 PM »
Thanks for the thumbs up guys ;D

Your Madrasvindy looks good SD and an extra tablespoon of deggie mirch will
definitely darken it down, making the photo that realistic colour.

Certainly spot on about Chef's spoon measurement variations, every curry is original.
That's the beauty of BIR and it's freeform cooking, nothing about it is exact.

cheers Chewytikka

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2012, 07:47 PM »
This was my tea tonight, wow what a dish, easy to make, or is my technique improving?

The first Madras I have ever attempted, been ages since I had a Madras from a TA so a comparison would be worthless, but as far as flavour went it was spot on, Chewys Video playing along beside the cooker is a huge help to keep me on track, although I did forget to chop the coriander, but that took very little time, always learning.  ::)

The colour in the photo is not showing a rich red, which it was to my eye, this is the colour I want to achieve and I am pleased to say I was very happy with it.  :D

Usually I tikka the chicken, but had no time this morning, surprisingly for me, I found I enjoyed it just as much!  :o

Great video Chewy  ;D

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2012, 08:06 PM »
Looks very nice Terramamba. Chewy's madras recipe is very good.

You don't really drink Special Brew do you?  ;)

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2012, 08:06 PM »
The colour in the photo is not showing a rich red, which it was to my eye, this is the colour I want to achieve and I am pleased to say I was very happy with it.  :D

There's definitely a yellow/green colour cast on that pic, Terramamba. I've taken the liberty of removing the cast - does this look more like it?

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2012, 08:11 PM »
Looks very nice Terramamba. Chewy's madras recipe is very good.

You don't really drink Special Brew do you?  ;)

Cheers,

Paul

Thank you it tasted awesome! Chewys video recipes are great for me, easy and clear to follow  :)

I do drink tea too, LOL!!!!!

Cheers
Colette  ;D

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2012, 08:15 PM »

There's definitely a yellow/green colour cast on that pic, Terramamba. I've taken the liberty of removing the cast - does this look more like it?

Yes SD, that is much better, thank you for the liberty taking, I do not mind at all  ;D

I think there may still be some yellow though, the table colour to the bottom right is more accurate.

I wish I had taken a shot of the pan, the colour against the ali was just what I am after  :)

Cheers  ;D

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2012, 08:20 PM »

Yes SD, that is much better, thank you for the liberty taking, I do not mind at all  ;D

Cheers  ;D

As a recovering former lover of Special Brew, it was the least I could do...  ;)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2012, 01:10 PM »
Hi Colette
Glad the vid recipe worked for you and I hope you did a good Singe-fry? at the same time.

I thought I'd adjust the colour in your photo too, hope you don't mind.
cheers Chewy

©2024 Curry Recipes