Author Topic: ready to cook poppadoms  (Read 15923 times)

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
ready to cook poppadoms
« on: December 17, 2011, 09:35 AM »
Hi all

I have bought some ready to cook cumin flavoured poppadoms having never cooked them before do i just heat the oil to about 180 and fry on both sides until golden or do the float once cooked any advice please?

Jamie

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: ready to cook poppadoms
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 09:50 AM »
Hi all

I have bought some ready to cook cumin flavoured poppadoms having never cooked them before do i just heat the oil to about 180 and fry on both sides until golden or do the float once cooked any advice please?

Jamie
hot oil so that they expamd straight away,turn them over 2 /3 seconds take out and shake the oil off.Or put in microwave for about 90 seconds

Offline rockyholland

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 09:50 AM »
Hi all

Jamie

Hi Jamie, 'ready to cook' sounds like normal uncooked to me.
If so, they can be deep fried (individually) in fairly hot oil, keep submerged completely with a spoon or suchlike, you will clearly see how they change when cooked.
They take just seconds to cook so be ready to whip them out before they burn then stand them on edge to drain.
Oil temperature is fairly important, too hot and they will definitely burn but too cool and they'll be oily and not nice and crisp. Practice makes perfect.

Most times nowadays I microwave them, again individually, about 30 to 40 seconds on high, you might have to 'nudge' them halfway through to make sure they cook evenly, again practice makes perfect.

I prefer microwaved 'pops', they are obviously never oily and once you get the knack with your particular microwave results are perfect.

Good luck

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 10:35 AM »
Hi Jamie,

I fry mine two at a time, that way, it keeps them reasonably flat.  Get the oil hot, just before smoking, and place them in, back to back for 5 seconds, then flip over (I use cooking tongues) and fry for another couple of seconds.

I then place them in the oven set on the lowest temp, using the rack to stand them on their edge to drain.

Perfect results, everytime.

Ray :)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 12:14 PM »
Hi all

Jamie
Hi Jamie
Good thread here for this topic
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5391.msg54619#msg54619
cheers Chewy

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 12:38 PM »
It also depends which brand you buy. I've recently used really thin ones (can't remember the brand names) and I found them too thin to the extent that they broke up when you placed pickle on them. I like the Rajah brand which are slightly thicker and I like them to curl up in the hot oil as they do a good job of "scooping" up raita, pickles etc.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 01:04 PM »
Hi all

Jamie
Hi Jamie
Good thread here for this topic
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5391.msg54619#msg54619
cheers Chewy

This thread covers the cooking of them in great detail with many peoples methods and well worth a read.  I must confess in all my years of eating BIR i have only been served ordinary madras poppadums deep fried.  I have never seen a flavoured poppadum (or masala, as the BIR's call them)  cooked this way.  They tend to have been cooked in the tandoor for a couple of seconds - the nearest we can get is to microwave them.  Nor have i ever tried this myself ::).  Is this a regional thing?  What is everybody else's experience :-\.  Maybe i'll buy a pack and give it a go :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 01:11 PM »
Local Asian grocers seem to sell a variety of flavoured popadoms here in Scotland - chilli, garlic etc. I always deep fry but have never tried the oven drying, I'll give this a go next time.

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 02:10 PM »
I generally brush each side with a little oil and microwave for 20-30 seconds.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 02:57 PM »
The only thing about "dry" cooked masalla poppadums is that i've always found that they tend to stick to my teeth :-\ and are, although flavoursome, obviously dry in taste and need loads of Cobra to wash them down ;).  I am keen to know of other experiences of eating flavoured poppadums in restaurants.  Are they oven cooked or are they fried?  I did try the brushing with oil and  microwaving method but wasn't impressed.  Consequently, i always stick to plain madras flavour and deep fry - result perfect BIR poppdums - nailed 8).  Shame the rest of the menu aint as easy >:(

©2024 Curry Recipes