Author Topic: Hi everyone  (Read 6376 times)

Offline sistermoon

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hi everyone
« on: February 06, 2006, 06:16 PM »
Newbie to the forum but not a newbie in the kitchen when cooking curry.  Absolutely addicted - dont know if its the spices, the chili or what, but get cravings every other day for one!

;D

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Hi everyone
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 07:00 PM »
I think we all get cravings for curries, especially the hot ones!  Something to do with the chillies that are so addictive.  Welcome to the forum and enjoy!  What are you fave curries

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 08:49 PM »
Hi, welcome aboard, what sort of curries have you been cooking up till now?

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 12:51 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forum - I am sure that you will find it a font of curry knowledge .

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 06:53 AM »
Welcome to curry heaven. Enjoy the site and all it has to offer.

It certainly is a genuine addiction we have as the chemicals in the chillies alter the chemicals in our brain making us succumb to this powerful drug.

Almost as bad as a heroin addiction but this one is free, legal and doesn't make you think you can fly!................bliss!

Ray
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 07:42 AM by raygraham »

Offline sistermoon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 06:07 PM »
Thanks for the welcome people!!? ?;D

I cook korma, madras, the odd biryani and even the odd bombay potato? - but the recipe I do involves mashing the spuds, not whole!

Dont gasp, but I do cheat alot with Patak's curry pastes but I do add my own secret combination of ground spices to give it a little something extra!? and chillies - oh, lots of chillies!!

Need to surf the site a bit more to find some new *from scratch* curry sauce bases and also look for some meat-free recipes for a nice change!

Thanks!

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 07:20 PM »
Dont gasp, but I do cheat alot with Patak's curry pastes but I do add my own secret combination of ground spices to give it a little something extra!? and chillies - oh, lots of chillies!!

Hi Sistermoon,

I think you may find quite few of us resort to Patak's pastes from time to time................I do. And there are a large number of BIR's, some near me that use Patak's pastes in all their curries, they have rows of large jars above the cookers so we are not the only cheats!

It's strange we don't often hear of people using Sharwoods products isn't it! I wonder why?
I like pastes but not the jars of sauce which are as far from a BIR curry as can be.

My favourite is the Patak's Madras paste which makes super curries and as you say adding some extra spices, tomatoes and fresh coriander can make it extra special. It goes to show curries are open to interpretation and experimentation isn't a bad thing at all.

Enlighten us a bit more on your methods with the paste and let us know what your favourite is. But do have a browse and select a "from scratch" base and get making your own from the ground up, it is certainly well worth it!

Good cooking,

Ray

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 10:14 PM »
My local BIR uses pataks balti paste

Offline sistermoon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 04:21 PM »
Firstly people - what does BIR stand for - its something Indian Restaurant, yeah?

Hi Ray!  I use the Patak's Madras paste most often - should I post my super tasting recipe elsewhere or shall I put it in this section?

I know I ask lots of questions, but its the newbie's prerogative, surely  ;D

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 04:24 PM »
BIR = British Indian Restaurant

I'm in the process of compiling a F.A.Q and have just put that one in.

Cheers
cK

©2024 Curry Recipes