Author Topic: PRE COOKED CHICKEN THE BENGAL T/A AND BIR WAY  (Read 29911 times)

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: PRE COOKED CHICKEN THE BENGAL T/A AND BIR WAY
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 01:01 PM »
Is that right ifindforu? 30 plus minutes to cook the chicken?  Seems like a hell of a long time to me.  Won't it go tough?

Ray :)
maybe 20 mins for fresh chicken,forgot i use brazilian chicken 90% chicken 10% water thats how i cook for30+

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 01:19 PM »
A lot of places use the 'added water' type chicken breast, usually available from Cash and Carry outlets in 10 kilo slabs..
This stuff will tolerate longer cooking than fresh un-injected chicken breast.

This is why some people say they 'can't believe how restaurant chicken tikka when cooked in a curry stays so moist'

Mick

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 01:22 PM »
A lot of places use the 'added water' type chicken breast, usually available from Cash and Carry outlets in 10 kilo slabs..
This stuff will tolerate longer cooking than fresh un-injected chicken breast.

This is why some people say they 'can't believe how restaurant chicken tikka when cooked in a curry stays so moist'

Mick
spot on I get my chicken murgi brand fron euro foods  10 kilo

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 07:16 PM »
Hi ifindforu,

So to take this slightly off topic but, I do still think it relevant to the post.  This injected chicken, It comes in 10 kilo slabs?  What exactly does that mean because I've got a vision in my head of a big hunk of chicken breast weighing 10kg :-\

Do you buy it frozen or is it "fresh".  Do you have a brand name that I could look out for, as I would be interested in seeing how this stuff performs against my usual "halal" chicken from my local Asian Butcher?

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 07:38 PM »
Hi ifindforu,

So to take this slightly off topic but, I do still think it relevant to the post.  This injected chicken, It comes in 10 kilo slabs?  What exactly does that mean because I've got a vision in my head of a big hunk of chicken breast weighing 10kg :-\

Do you buy it frozen or is it "fresh".  Do you have a brand name that I could look out for, as I would be interested in seeing how this stuff performs against my usual "halal" chicken from my local Asian Butcher?

The chicken is frozen breasts about 32 breasts in 10 kilo box  [url]http://www.horizoncreative.co.uk/ef2011/index.html]http://www.horizoncreative.co.uk/ef2011/index.html    murgee fillet page 6 type in chicken probably 75% of bir use this for their chicken dishes

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 07:49 PM »
Many thanks ifindforu,

Would I be correct in saying, where it is listed as 'Chicken breast 80%' that would mean 80% chicken:20% water?, Also, are the fillets individually wrapped so they can be easily seperated?  And finally, how much would I be looking to pay for a 10kg box?

Sorry for all the questions mate :-\

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 08:15 PM »
Not being a fan of chicken from BIR, i bought some chicken breasts from the local indian wholesalers at 6 quid a kilo.  The things weigh 350 - 400g per breast with added water.  On cooking both I and the wife could taste the difference from normal butcher bought chicken with the water content stuff "tasting odd".  Not sure how else to describe it!  Did not try with tikka yet!!!  Will be interested to hear others thoughts on this, as I see it, poorer quality chicken :(

Barry

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 08:22 PM »
Hi ifindforu,

Hi Ray,
The breasts sit on a layer of plastic with the plastic sheeting folded over to cover the first layer, the second layer of breasts are layered on the plastic and covered again in more plastic, if you follow me.
So you get a complete layer of meat all touching. You can partially thaw this to allow you to break up. Just enough to separate it, the meat is still frozen so it can go back in the freezer individually wrapped no problems.

I would go for no less than 80% meat, you can get 90% in some places. It is a cheap way to buy chicken and ensures the chicken is moist when cooked, it's upto you whether you want to eat the chicken injected with water and some other meat proteins.

Where I see it it is about ?25-?30 so at about ?3 per kilo it is cheap if you don't mind the work. etc
As stated before a lot of places will use this. Once you have tried this type of product against fresh you will be able to tell the difference.

Mick

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 08:45 PM »
i use this stuff, about 18 - 20 brests per slab

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 09:19 PM »
Hi Mick and many thanks,

Once you have tried this type of product against fresh you will be able to tell the difference.

I get the impression that you prefer fresh chicken over the injected stuff then?

Hi UB,

That size appeals to me more, so, if you don't mind, how much are you paying for that and, is this also plumped up with water?

©2024 Curry Recipes