Author Topic: IFINDFORU THE BIR OR T/A GURAVY /SPOT ON./ THIS IS MY FINAL BASE GURAVY  (Read 32259 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: IFINDFORU THE BIR OR T/A GURAVY /SPOT ON./ THIS IS THE FINAL
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 11:47 PM »
Don't expect Adrian (from Curry2Go) or Abdul Mohed to post much on here just to get ripped apart by certain members.

But they shouldn't be put off so easily, if indeed even one of them has been. As I said before, you need to have a bit of a thick skin if you go public with anything. Even eBay feedback. There are at least 20 people on here who are 100% behind Abdul for every 1 member like me who thinks his contributions are great but I still reckon anything can be improved, like clearly stating spoon measure assumptions and his very best gravy recipe from the outset. Even if you view superb songs and videos on youtube, there may be a few people who 'dislike' something. And as for politics, a party would have unprecedented success if they won a general election with 60% of all votes cast. Even that would mean 40% of people may not approve.

I don't agree this forum is much less than a very friendly place, especially given that the level of moderation is minimal, and I hope the forum benefits from it.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: IFINDFORU - THE BIR OR T/A GRAVY - SPOT ON - THIS IS IT
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 11:51 PM »
Can someone explain why or how the title of this thread keeps changing from;
IFINDFORU THE BIR OR T/A GURAVY /SPOT ON./ THIS IS MY FINAL BASE GURAVY
to;
IFINDFORU THE BIR OR T/A GURAVY /SPOT ON./ THIS IS THE FINAL

I'm not sure if the original title has changed but I think you can modify the title for each post - not that I would, or think it's a good idea. My previous post carried the shorter title, presumably because that's what someone earlier used in the section of text I quoted. Anyway, as a test, I'll change it again.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: IFINDFORU THE BIR OR T/A GURAVY /SPOT ON./ THIS IS THE FINAL
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2012, 07:25 PM »
Don't expect Adrian (from Curry2Go) or Abdul Mohed to post much on here just to get ripped apart by certain members.

But they shouldn't be put off so easily, if indeed even one of them has been. As I said before, you need to have a bit of a thick skin if you go public with anything. Even eBay feedback. There are at least 20 people on here who are 100% behind Abdul for every 1 member like me who thinks his contributions are great but I still reckon anything can be improved, like clearly stating spoon measure assumptions and his very best gravy recipe from the outset. Even if you view superb songs and videos on youtube, there may be a few people who 'dislike' something. And as for politics, a party would have unprecedented success if they won a general election with 60% of all votes cast. Even that would mean 40% of people may not approve.

I don't agree this forum is much less than a very friendly place, especially given that the level of moderation is minimal, and I hope the forum benefits from it.
well said george

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Hi Terry

in this latest version of your gravy recipe, is the potato removed before liquidising?

in your original old gravy recipe from many years back, it was removed?

cheers

Paul

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Hi Terry

in this latest version of your gravy recipe, is the potato removed before liquidising?

in your original old gravy recipe from many years back, it was removed?

cheers

Paul
hi paul this is my latest and no the potato is liquidised with everything else just progreesed from then try it you wont be dissapointed i promise TERRY

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
I finally got to eat some of this last night at about 11:30.

It was my first chance to try the spice mix and matching base recipe together in a curry and I wasn't disappointed. The base came out at about 4.5 litres but it should probably have been closer to 5 litres to get the required consistency. I also felt like it could have done with a bit more cooking before use but I was running out of time.

I made a basic chicken curry and was very happy with the results. Some points to note that I've learnt:

Ifindforu says to check the taste of the base at the end and adjust seasoning etc. if you need to. In this case I added a little single cream which seemed to sit well with the flavours. But to be honest this tasting and adjusting the base is a new concept to me as I've usually just followed recipes to spec when it comes to base sauces. This is probably an important point as ingredients will vary each time a base is cooked.

When I last made chewytikka's base I was very impressed with the gravy after sieving it. I intended to sieve every base I made after that but I was running out of time last night and couldn't be bothered. I think this base would greatly benefit from being sieved and probably also from having some surface scum removing during cooking.

Finally I think I'm guilty of changing base recipes too often. There is a lot to be said for sticking with one, getting to know and tweak it to your taste. But I'll try to stick with this one for a while.

I think quality and BIR wise this base was up there with the best on cr0 and the excellent spice mix really lifted things for me.

Thanks to Terry (ifindforu) for providing the information.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline andymac

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hi All
Can anybody guide me to the spice mix receipe, everyone is refering to it, but where do i find it????
Many thanks
Andy Mac

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Hi All
Can anybody guide me to the spice mix receipe, everyone is refering to it, but where do i find it????
Many thanks
Andy Mac

Hi Andy, spice mix link is here:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7635.0

To make it to spec you do need a specific curry powder and garam masala.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline andymac

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hi Paul
Many thanks, i will give it a whirl and let you know what i think.
Regards
Andy

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
I finally got to eat some of this last night at about 11:30.

It was my first chance to try the spice mix and matching base recipe together in a curry and I wasn't disappointed. The base came out at about 4.5 litres but it should probably have been closer to 5 litres to get the required consistency. I also felt like it could have done with a bit more cooking before use but I was running out of time............................
I think quality and BIR wise this base was up there with the best on cr0 and the excellent spice mix really lifted things for me.

Thanks to Terry (ifindforu) for providing the information.

Cheers,

Paul

Glad to hear your hard work paid off Paul, even if you did have to wait until 11:30 before you got your curry :(.  That you were very  happy with the medium curry results bodes very well for many other dishes.  You've obviously plans to improve it next time by skimming and sieving which some members believe improves texture and flavour.  And your addition of cream to the base sits well with me as my local BIR adds cream to their gravy.  I plan to make ifindforu's gravy next with his spice mix.  I look forward to sampling the results first hand.   Regarding your comment on sticking with one base and working with it for a while, i have now come to the same conclusion.  I still yet have to identify the most likely contender for the base:D but am  currently narrowing down the field as to which spice mix i will be using.  That's not to say i won't try other bases that are on my to do list but the main focus for experiments, tweaking and testing will be my chosen base.  What are you plans next for the base or dishes you are going to cook with it?

©2024 Curry Recipes