Author Topic: IFINDFORU THE SECRET MIX POWDER EXPOSED  (Read 72818 times)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: IFINDFORU THE SECRET MIX POWDER EXPOSED
« Reply #130 on: March 04, 2012, 10:31 AM »
curryhell,

link http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2368.msg26832#msg26832.

if it is of use then i can upload the current version - probably not a great deal different
Thanks for posting the link Jerry but it isn't working down this end :-\ .  The message i'm getting when i try to access it is:

"The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2012, 07:44 PM »
Just to let people know found some Jalpur GM in Tooting cost 2.50  175g for any London followers near by

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2012, 08:22 PM »
curryhell,

not sure about the link (archived?). i will need to find a hosting site as i can't upload direct to CR0. alternatively pm me with your email and i will send copy.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2012, 08:33 PM »
i've had 2nd thoughts on the eastern star - i think it is important. have side by side tasted again the mouchak and the sample mix powder sent by ifindforu - miles apart in terms of smoothness and zing.

i've ended up making the Zaal Chef Masala to compare with the tgad2007 and the jalpur.

i'm still tasting as the comparison is not clear cut for me. the Zaal took me by surprise - i'd expected not to like given the casia.

i'm going to need to do quite a bit of work before deciding further. my thought is to make a combined version as each has some really good attributes. i also need to try out the Zaal 1st in the mouchak given it's pedigree.

just cooked 2 off madras and it's very clear that the super mix powder will not really show up in "hot" dishes. this top notch mix powder is for the special dishes.

Clockwise starting top left: Jalpur, Zaal, tgad2007

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2012, 08:51 PM »
Just to let people know found some Jalpur GM in Tooting cost 2.50  175g for any London followers near by

Hi Michael,
 Which shop in Tooting did you find the Jalpur?

Thanks, Frank.  :)

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2012, 09:21 PM »
Patel Bros .They had afew brands of GMs Ive never heard of

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2012, 09:59 PM »
Cheers Michael.
Thats me sorted  ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 10, 2012, 04:22 PM »
my 1st go on trying to get a better understanding did not go well.

i made 2 off kashmiri.  1 off with mouchak mix powder but with the shop bought East End garam replaced by the Zaal Chef Garam. Dish no2 was with standard mouchak.

unfortunately i cooked dish 2 much better than dish 1 and this ruined any ability to compare (the std dish actually tasting better).

i've now added jalpur garam into the Zaal garam mix powder and will try out next.

i don't see this being easy to crack (what causes the smoothness & zing) and feel it will take some time. hence below is what i think just in case others have any thoughts:

1) the premium curry powders (say eastern star & rajah gold) are better than those in the Asian shops and well worth buying
2) the jalpur garam is essentially a "chef garam" and something that we are capable of making at home. i see a combination of tgad, Zaal and the key ingredients in the jalpur (black cardamom and possibly cloves)
3) turmeric has a harshness. removing this from the mix powder and increasing the proportion of curry powder improves the smoothness (i think this is what ifindforu has already posted not in words but in his mix suggestion). the amount of turmeric in base needs to be increased to maintain the net amount.
4) reducing the chilli powder (as per Zaal) also helps the smoothness

for cooking solely hot dishes ie chilli read madras and above all of this makes no difference. it applies solely to the "cream" dishes.

the only guidance in moving forward seems to be that the "premium" mix is lighter colour.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 10, 2012, 06:17 PM »
Turmeric is the flavour I'm always trying 'kill' now. I find it really bitter it's tells me if it's cooked properly. Can't say about Eastern Star as I've never seen any, but it does look very yellow compared to the shelf brands, either indicating more turmeric or of a darker spice.  :-\ Razor recently mentioned this as he was looking to improve the colour of his chinese curry paste.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2012, 05:20 PM »
Turmeric is the flavour I'm always trying 'kill' now. I find it really bitter it's tells me if it's cooked properly. Can't say about Eastern Star as I've never seen any, but it does look very yellow compared to the shelf brands, either indicating more turmeric or of a darker spice.  :-\ Razor recently mentioned this as he was looking to improve the colour of his chinese curry paste.
Eastern Star is indeed very light but if paprika is added then it becomes orangish which is the curry colour

©2024 Curry Recipes