Author Topic: IFINDFORU THE SECRET MIX POWDER EXPOSED  (Read 72802 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: IFINDFORU THE SECRET MIX POWDER EXPOSED
« Reply #150 on: August 19, 2012, 12:30 PM »
Managed to get some Jalpur GM yesterday from Sparkhill.  The use by date is September but it seems OK.  The pong is incredible!  It's unopended and I've still had to wrap the box in cling film many times   I wonder how it can be so pungent (even compared to my freshly ground efforts).  Perhaps pressure treated in some way?  Maybe it's gone off  :P

No mate it's not gone off,it's just that it's very powerful stuff indeed.I got hold of a small sample some time ago in a tub that was strong enough,I've just brought a bag direct from Jalpur via Ebay,as soon as I unwrapped it the smell hit me...incredible.Makes other GM look and smell like sawdust.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 19, 2012, 09:06 PM »
Managed to get some Jalpur GM yesterday from Sparkhill.  The use by date is September but it seems OK.  The pong is incredible!  It's unopended and I've still had to wrap the box in cling film many times   I wonder how it can be so pungent (even compared to my freshly ground efforts).  Perhaps pressure treated in some way?  Maybe it's gone off  :P

No mate it's not gone off,it's just that it's very powerful stuff indeed.I got hold of a small sample some time ago in a tub that was strong enough,I've just brought a bag direct from Jalpur via Ebay,as soon as I unwrapped it the smell hit me...incredible.Makes other GM look and smell like sawdust.

Nice one. Cheers.  I'll be unleashing the aroma tomorrow.  :P   

Offline Roida15

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2016, 07:28 PM »
Just tried this mix powder in a Vindaloo, but used Jalpur curry powder instead of the one recomended. It was a vast improvement on the previous mixed powders I have used.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2016, 07:49 AM »
Just tried this mix powder in a Vindaloo, but used Jalpur curry powder instead of the one recomended. It was a vast improvement on the previous mixed powders I have used.

Did you use the Jalpur garam masala ? Is it as strong, aroma wise, as some have said in the thread?

Be interesting to know what mixed powders you have used previously Roida

Offline Roida15

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2016, 08:50 AM »
Hi,

Yes I used Jalpur masala and used 2 desertspoons instead of 1. I have used several Julian's, CBM etc, but I would say this is the best so far! It provides the after taste in your mouth after finishing that the others did not. I used it with JB,s base gravy with the garlic on top but going to try his other base gravy today or tomorrow, just as a comparison and because I have run out of my freezer stock. I made a Vindaloo with the following:
2 teaspoons of g and g paste
5 desertions of watered down tomato puree
Teaspoon of methi
2 teaspoons of mixed powder _ will increase to 3 next time
Quarter teaspoon of salt
Quarter teaspoon of black pepper
1 tablespoon of chili
1 cap full of white vinegar
I teaspoon of coriander stalks
Squirt of tomato sauce
Teaspoon of suggar
Corrinander to finish
Base gravy

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2016, 09:03 AM »
5 desertions of watered down tomato puree

Crikey.  Court martial followed by "Shot at dawn" for them, then ...

Offline Roida15

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2016, 09:08 AM »
Just my personal opinion, this is all about individual preference.This combination gave me something very near to the curry I am used to in my local area. It may not be for everyone, but was for me.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2016, 10:01 AM »
Hi,

Yes I used Jalpur masala and used 2 desertspoons instead of 1. I have used several Julian's, CBM etc, but I would say this is the best so far! It provides the after taste in your mouth after finishing that the others did not.

And would you say that aftertaste is from the jalpur gm?

Nice that you have found something to improve your curries Roida, and always good to hear reports from people trying recipes  :)

Offline Roida15

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2016, 10:19 AM »
Hi,

I think so, but I also used Jalpur curry powder instead of the normal rajha one.  I must admit though that  both curry powders had a similar smell. The masala had a different smell to my usual one though. As I said earlier it is all about ones preference, experimenting is the only way to get what you personally prefer. However,  without the excellent work by many on this site one would not feel confident to start experimenting. I look forward to every post by JB because of his passion and his desire to share his journey.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2016, 02:56 PM »
I've used this mix powder for years; there is no aftertaste. If you're experiencing that you've either got dodgy ingredients or more likely you're not cooking your spices enough.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 04:06 PM by Sverige »

©2024 Curry Recipes