Author Topic: IFINDFORU THE SECRET MIX POWDER EXPOSED  (Read 72763 times)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile

Offline Masala Mark

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: IFINDFORU THE SECRET MIX POWDER EXPOSED
« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2012, 12:06 AM »
Hi,

Here we add whole spices to the base gravies, they are very rarely ever added to a finished dish.

As an example, Butter gravy has green card, cinnamon stick, cloves, bay leaves. Onion Gravy has cloves, black cardamom, cinamon sticks, and sometimes star anise if no big cards available.

Don't get added to the final dishes as no one really wants to bit into a whole spice, if they are noticed when going into the final dish then they are removed, sometimes we miss them though.

Regards,
Mark

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2012, 12:16 AM »
Hi,

Here we add whole spices to the base gravies, they are very rarely ever added to a finished dish.

As an example, Butter gravy has green card, cinnamon stick, cloves, bay leaves. Onion Gravy has cloves, black cardamom, cinamon sticks, and sometimes star anise if no big cards available.

Don't get added to the final dishes as no one really wants to bit into a whole spice, if they are noticed when going into the final dish then they are removed, sometimes we miss them though.

Regards,
Mark

Hi Mark, any chance you could post your gravy recipe's I remember you mentioned them a while back. I'm in Scotland UK, & in the better quality bir's here they will temper the whole spices in a speciality dish(they won't miss you with the price

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2012, 12:49 PM »
Hi,

Regards,
Mark

Mark, for the spices to remain whole do you add the spices after the blending stage and then do the final simmer ?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2012, 05:45 PM »
black cardamom has a very strong taste. i stopped using it back in KD1 times. with my CR0 inspired understanding of depth of spice but no one spice overpowering i suppose it should go back on the to do list.

for info i currently perceive it in the same bag as cassia ie not part of the BIR product

Offline CardiffCurrylad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2012, 02:31 PM »
Hi terry, managed to get jalpur gm from clare foods in city rd today. it is that strong i can smell it through the box before i have even opened it. It smells not unlike the one i used to make on a course i did about 4yrs ago. i will dig it out & put it on this thread, see what you guys think. Eastern star, is that from globel as clare stores don't sell it?

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2012, 02:37 PM »
Hi terry, managed to get jalpur gm from clare foods in city rd today. it is that strong i can smell it through the box before i have even opened it. It smells not unlike the one i used to make on a course i did about 4yrs ago. i will dig it out & put it on this thread, see what you guys think. Eastern star, is that from globel as clare stores don't sell it?
Its from globals 10 kilo tin ?29.95

Offline Thomasm

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2012, 04:44 PM »
hi all
hope you dont mind me asking but
whats the verdict on this then?

Is it worth a try?

Does it bring us any closer to the BIR taste?

Thanks in advance.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2012, 04:59 PM »
Hi Thomas,

I've been using it and yes it is a good spice mix. Whether it takes you any closer to BIR is down to you to decide really.

You can buy some here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EASTERN-STAR-CURRY-POWDER-USED-RESTAURANTS-CHINESE-INDIAN-/120861545450?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item1c23e8d3ea

If you order you can specify that you want the Indian spice mix otherwise you would just get the curry powder.

Paul

Offline Thomasm

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2012, 05:09 PM »
Thanks for that PaulP

I will  give it a try.

I have been happy for a while using the SNS june base and the matching madras but it looks like i have the bug again so time to start experimenting i think ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes