Author Topic: jalpur garam masala  (Read 18389 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: jalpur garam masala
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 08:51 PM »
I would assume that generic "cardamom" would be green cardamon, whilst black cardamom would be explicitly glossed, just as I would assume that "jeera" or "cumin" would be white cumin whilst "kala jeera" / "black cumin" would be stated explicitly.

In many cases you may be right. In other cases, you might make an unsafe assumption in my opinion.
I agree :)

Here's another one - if a recipe states to use 1 tsp, 1 dsp and 1 tbls of three ingredients and says nothing else, would you assume that's 5ml, 10ml and 15ml respectively?
No, because I neither think in ml nor convert to ml.  If a recipe specifies {tea|desert|table}spoonsful, then I use measuring spoons of those sizes; if it specifies ml, I use a measuring cylinder (or a measuring jug, for quantities in excess of 100ml).

** Phil.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 09:05 PM »
Here's another one - if a recipe states to use 1 tsp, 1 dsp and 1 tbls of three ingredients and says nothing else, would you assume that's 5ml, 10ml and 15ml respectively?
No, because I neither think in ml nor convert to ml.  If a recipe specifies {tea|desert|table}spoonsful, then I use measuring spoons of those sizes; if it specifies ml, I use a measuring cylinder (or a measuring jug, for quantities in excess of 100ml).

Phil, I fear that George is being a very naughty boy here.  It all depends where the recipe provider is from doesn't it?  An Aussie would be reffering to 20ml when stating a tbs where as a Brit, should be reffering to 17.7581714 millilitres and not the percieved 15ml that we assume a tbs is.

And an Americans tbs is different again.

Ray :)

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 09:43 PM »

I was hoping to keep away from the complexities of overseas measurements, as mentioned by Razor  and stick to UK conventions and measures. Do you know the ml quantities measured out with your measuring spoons. For example, is a tbls 15ml, 17.76ml or something else?

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 09:49 PM »
George, if I was to measure 1 tbs of Jalpur Garam Masala (just to keep it on topic  ;))  my measuring spoon would portion up 15ml for a level tbs because that's what it says on the handle ie; 1 tbsp = 15 ml .

Got them from slimming world :(

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 10:11 PM »
George, if I was to measure 1 tbs of Jalpur Garam Masala (just to keep it on topic  ;))  my measuring spoon would portion up 15ml for a level tbs because that's what it says on the handle ie; 1 tbsp = 15 ml .
Got them from slimming world :(

That's what I would do, and expect to get but I now realise it's even more of a minefield. For example, I searched googe for "uk tbls ml" and google gave the "Imperial" measure as your 17.76 measure to several places of decimals.
Then another site says "A spoonful" means heaped or rounded, with as much above the bowl of the spoon as in the spoon and Half a spoonful" means a level spoonful." Source: http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_kitchen.htm

Whereas, I'm sure most of my UK recipe books state in the preface that all tsp, dsp and tbls measure are to be level unless they state rounded or heaped.

Anyway, my conclusion here is that we're all over the place. If I go to make another member's recipe and he states 1tbls, I use a level measure. But perhaps he means rounded or heaped, which could make a MASSIVE difference to my end result. Abdul's book said nothing so I used level measures and no wonder the end result was a bit bland and boring because, after someone else checked on here, it turns out he meant heaped measures. I accept your comment that it could be a bit risky and expensive to meet other members in real life, so what we're left with is communication mainly through written recipes and write-ups. I suggest there's much room for improvement.

Offline CurryCrazy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2011, 11:06 PM »
Has anyone used the GM yet?

Can't get it in Cheltenham - and I'm not going to pay ?8 carriage (but if it's really good I might  ;) )

Phil

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2011, 12:18 AM »
I was hoping to keep away from the complexities of overseas measurements, as mentioned by Razor  and stick to UK conventions and measures. Do you know the ml quantities measured out with your measuring spoons. For example, is a tbls 15ml, 17.76ml or something else?
Too late to measure tonight, George, but I'll have a go tomorrow.  However, the chances of my being able to measure ml to two places of decimals are strictly zero; I will be lucky if I can get to within 0,5 ml.  My small (and most accurate) cylinder is calibrated in units of 0,5 ml to 25 ml, and my larger in units of 1 ml to 100 ml.  If it would be of any interest, I can /weigh/ to an accuracy of 0,1 mg, so one possibility would be to use a liquid of known density (e.g., distilled water) and then weigh the contents of each of the three measuring spoons and then back-convert to volume.  There will still be errors because of the lack of temperature control, but we can probably get closer than using a measuring cylinder ...

** Phil.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2011, 10:29 AM »
That's what I would do, and expect to get but I now realise it's even more of a minefield. For example, I searched googe for "uk tbls ml" and google gave the "Imperial" measure as your 17.76 measure to several places of decimals.

It does indeed :

1 Imperial tablespoon = 17.7581714 millilitres

but that is surely one of the clearest indications possible that one can no more /rely/ on Google than one can rely on Wikipaedia or any other non-authoritative source.   A tablespoon (and a tablespoonful) are not scientifically calibrated devices/units that can be traced back to some ultimate reference measure sealed in a locked vault at the National Physical Laboratory at Teddington; rather, they are everyday units that need to be interpreted with a great deal of common sense, and I for one would be extremely wary of any source that claimed to be able to specify the metric volumetric equivalent with any greater accuracy than "about 15 ml" or "about 17 3/4 ml", depending on whether we are discussing American or British tablespoons.  For what it is worth, I have just calibrated my own measuring spoons against a B.S. 604 measuring cylinder, and I get equivalences (within the limits of experimental error) of :
  • 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
  • 1 tablespoon = 15 ml
which suggests to me that either my measuring spoons are American in origin (which I don't think they are) or  that once again we British have been only to willing too forsake our national heritage and following American practice blindly (remember the milliard, anyone ?).  It would be interesting to know if any CR0 member has a set of known British measuring spoons of sufficient antiquity that the tablespoon measure thereof is "about 17 3/4 ml".

** Phil.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:05 AM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2011, 10:40 AM »
Hi Phil,

It would be interesting to know if any CR0 member has a set of known British measuring spoons of sufficient antiquity that the tablespoon measure thereof is "about 17 3/4 ml".

I'd very much doubt it Phil unless they are in the antiques trade.  I remember reading an article somewhere when this subject cropped up before with regards to tbs measurements and it seems that we, The British, have accepted 15ml as a standard volume for a tbs since before Victorian England.

I guess 2 and 3/4 ml shouldn't make too much difference but an Australian 20ml tbs certainly will, especially if it is rounded.   There's a thing, I wonder why the Aussies went for 20ml, you would have expected them to use pretty much the same weights and measure as us Brits?

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 12:27 PM »
Yet another thread going off topic.
Would be nice if the Moderator could Moderate himself. ;)

My take on Garam Masala

The large Black Cardamom is used mainly in Garam Masala and Rice dishes.
The more common Green Cardamom is used extensively whole or ground in sweet and savoury dishes and Garam Masala.

If a dish recipe calls for Cardamom it will usually be the common Green.

A Garam Masala recipe may include either or both depending on which recipe.

Each serious cook/Restaurant will have their own Garam Masala recipe and for convenience may buy a commercial blend like Jalpur.

Although interesting, reading the list of ingredients on the packet. does not add up to a recipe and quite futile in my opinion.

In my search for Old Tandoori flavours, pre Pataks, the most important addition
to flavour of my Garam Masala was freshly ground Tej Patta powder.

Tej Patta is a fundamental ingredient in BIR and Traditional Indian flavours.

Going shopping today, will have a look out for Jalpur products.

cheers Chewy.
p.s. Ray, Clove is the medicine overtone in Garam Masala.
Used back in the day at the dentists, Clove Oil, Tooth Tincture etc...

©2024 Curry Recipes