Author Topic: jalpur garam masala  (Read 18364 times)

Offline coffee

• Chef
    • View Profile
jalpur garam masala
« on: December 27, 2011, 06:34 PM »
just purchased a  box of Julpur Garam Masala(?4.35 for 375 gms.)
Ingredients  are
Black pepper, Cinnamon,Cloves,Black Cardomons,Star Aniseed,Coriander, Cummin,Red chilli, Mixed spices.

when opening the box the gm which is an a polythene bag smells quite strong with the emphasis on the cloves/star anise  side of things- smells more chinese than indian.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: jalpur garam masala
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 07:06 PM »
Hi Coffee,

when opening the box the gm which is an a polythene bag smells quite strong with the emphasis on the cloves/star anise  side of things- smells more chinese than indian.

That is exactly how I would describe the smell of Rajah garam masala, I wonder if they are similar?

Ray :)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 07:14 PM »
Ray, I see Star Anise is showing up again  :D I'm going to start putting 1/2 tsp in my Spice Mix  8)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 07:18 PM »
That is exactly how I would describe the smell of Rajah garam masala, I wonder if they are similar?

I find the Rajah GM has a touch of the dental hospital about it, the Natco GM has a slightly better flavour. Im sure Jalpur supply Natco with their raw materials

Offline Jeera

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 07:27 PM »

Hi, did you purchase online at that price ? their website wants ?8 to ship 175gram box.

Thanks.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 09:10 PM »
Ingredients  are
Black pepper, Cinnamon,Cloves,Black Cardomons,Star Aniseed,Coriander, Cummin,Red chilli, Mixed spices.

did you notice mixed spice at the of the end of the listm now i wonder what they are they wont tell you

Offline coffee

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 09:49 PM »
Jalpur GM purchased from Indian supermarket/ C&C  nr manchester - sure there must be other retailers about. 

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 09:39 AM »
Ingredients  are

Thanks for this info coffee, a useful post for anyone seeking to understand ifindforu's mix powder. For the sake of comparison I list below the ingredients of Bart Spices Garam Masala. Presumably we can infer from the order in which they are presented the approx proportions, but no more than that.

Coriander, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, black pepper, cloves, ginger, dill seeds, cardamom.

I would like to obtain some Jalpur GM and will keep an eye on this thread to see what sources people might find. The manufacturer website is of source an option but postage appears relatively high.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 09:46 AM »
Rajah Garam Masala
Ingredients:
 Coriander, Cumin, Ginger, Cinnamon, Pimento, Black Pepper,
Black Cardamoms, Cloves, Bay Leaves, Nutmeg

Nacto Garam Masala
Ingredients
Coriander, Cumin, Ginger, Cinnamon, Black Pepper, Cardamom, Cloves, Pimento, Bayleaves, Nutmeg

Now there is interesting, both Rajah and Nacto have the same ingredients ;D
Only difference being the cardamom, one black the other green, or a typing error

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 11:30 AM »
Hi Les :D

I take it that you have written the spices in the same order that they appeard on the packaging?

Ray :)

©2024 Curry Recipes