Author Topic: CA's Simple Mild Curry Base (aka "Base Gravy"/"Gravy"/"Base Sauce")  (Read 15476 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Simple Mild Curry Base (aka "Base Gravy"/"Gravy"/"Base Sauce")
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 09:00 AM »
Great little base CA.
word of warning to others who make it., Use a jug blender, liquidiser or a tall saucepan to blend. ;)
a hand blender and a small amount of liquid in a shallow saucepan equals disaster :P
OUCH!  Lesson learnt

Words to the wise, indeed, DP!

Even when cool, it's best not to fill the jug blender beyond half full.  And best not to do it when hot (or even warm) or it will spurt everywhere!  :P

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
I've just knocked up a double version of this base. Well it was almost to spec:

All ingredients were just doubled except-

Garlic 22 grams
Ginger 18 grams
Fresh coriander stalks 12 grams

Not in recipe but I added 1 tbs tomato puree.

TBH if I'd had a pepper and carrots in the house I probably would have added a little of those.
The mix powder was ifindforu "secret" mix powder.

Anyway, I was very pleased with the ease of cooking. The finished volume was 1.6 litres and it blended easy and smooth. I did cook the blended base gently for about 15 minutes.

So far looking good, it tastes sweet and quite nice although not as full on as the last base I cooked which was the ifindforu base.

I'll make a simple chicken madras later tonight and will judge it then.

Cheers

Paul

Edit: Just re-tasting the base it is probably the sweetest base I've ever made. It will be interesting making a curry later on but first I need a shower.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:27 PM by PaulP »

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Well the base produced a very tasty curry indeed.

It was a near perfect curry (for me) with just a taste that I can't put my finger on that I would have preferred less of. I get this taste with other base recipes too. It could be too much garlic or methi - I'll eat the rest tonight.
I did take a couple of photos but they're still on the camera.

So big thanks to CA although I did modify the recipe slightly I would recommend it and in future I might stick to smaller scaled down base recipes.

Cheers

Paul

Offline ac3sup

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Your intentions are evident in me , I love curry spesh Indian and I joined the forum in an attempt to make my own and have used your "simple" recipes so far to make some lovely furrows lol thank you and keep it up  :P

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Your intentions are evident in me , I love curry spesh Indian and I joined the forum in an attempt to make my own and have used your "simple" recipes so far to make some lovely furrows lol thank you and keep it up  :P

???

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Hi ELW,

I was also a little puzzled about ac3sup's post, at first (if puzzled is what you are?), but, on rereading it, I presume ac3sup means:

• "Your intention is evident in me" - ac3sup is new to BIR cooking and decided to use these simple recipes as a starting point (and one of my intentions was to keep these recipes simple for people new to BIR cooking)
  • "Make some lovely furrows" - ac3sup has, by trying these simple recipes, made a good start to his BIR cooking venture (tilling the land, sowing seeds, reaping the harvest, etc)

At least that's what I THINK ac3sup means!  :P

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Hi ELW,

I was also a little puzzled about ac3sup's post, at first (if puzzled is what you are?), but, on rereading it, I presume ac3sup means:

• "Your intention is evident in me" - ac3sup is new to BIR cooking and decided to use these simple recipes as a starting point (and one of my intentions was to keep these recipes simple for people new to BIR cooking)
  • "Make some lovely furrows" - ac3sup has, by trying these simple recipes, made a good start to his BIR cooking venture (tilling the land, sowing seeds, reaping the harvest, etc)

At least that's what I THINK ac3sup means!  :P
I'm no Shakespeare CA, but it says "lol" in there. I thought it was semi - spam!

ELW

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
love curry spesh indian

roughly translated...he loves a curry, especially Indian :)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
if thats what ac3sup meant, then I hope he/she posts more often, it's a classic  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes