Author Topic: CA's Simple Chicken Korma  (Read 22461 times)

Offline tongey

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Simple Chicken Korma
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 07:10 PM »
Thanks CA

Next time I will mill up the coconut, then once that bag is gone buy coconut flour instead!

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 07:56 PM »
Hi CA, Probably a thicko question, but here goes...

Given the choice between this Simple Chicken Korma and your Chicken Korma recipe posted in Jan 2012, which one would you make for yourself? I know there are differences between the two recipes, but I'm not too sure which would turn out the best (if there is such a thing as "best"!).

I know it comes down to a personal choice, but I'd appreciate your recommendation nevertheless.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 02:17 AM »
Hi Naga,

A perfectly reasonable question.

Both, in my opinion, produce very nice ("BIR-like") Kormas.

This "Simple" recipe is less complex and easier and quicker to make.  It produces a "less complex" and "cleaner" tasting Korma (if that makes any sense?).  In some ways I prefer it accordingly.

However, I guess you'd really need to try both recipes (with their accompanying curry base and spice mix) to determine which you prefer. 

I guess it would largely depend on which curry base and spice mix you are inclined to (or can be bothered to) make.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 07:31 AM »
Thanks, CA. I sort of knew instictively that it would come down to making both and tasting for myself - I suppose I was looking for a shortcut that didn't really exist in the first place.

You're right to mention the base and spice mix recipes, though. I've made a couple and find that, so far, the Abdul Mohed base/spice mix suits my tastes best so far. I hadn't really given much thought to the subtleties that other combinations might make to a dish.

At the moment, it's less about the "botheration" factor than it is about the space I have available in my freezer! Ever since I embarked on this BIR journey, I'd be lucky if I could squeeze a single frozen pea into the freezer for all the tubs of base, G/G paste, bunjarra, masala, chicken tikka etc., etc.!

But I will definitely give both of your Korma recipes a go and see which tickles the tastebuds the most.

Offline Capitan_Huk

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 07:07 PM »
Just made this for the family and it went down a storm! Today was the first time I tried making a BIR (with all the base sauce) and it was incredible!

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 08:11 PM »
The re-emergence of this thread has reminded me that I never reported back on this Korma.

I've made the original Korma recipe (i.e. not the simple version) 3 times now, using pre-cooked chicken but otherwise according to spec, including the spiced oil, base gravy and spice mix, and I have to say it is the best Korma I've ever tasted - and the rest of the family back me up on that. CA's pilau rice completed the dish each time.

I was never a Korma fan, but I am now a convert! Personally, I would make it with a deal more heat on the palate for myself, but the family prefer a milder dish.

It's a winner! :D

Edit: Oops! I just noticed the thread title and now recall that I've already responded on the correct thread here. Should have gone to Specsavers! :)

©2024 Curry Recipes