Author Topic: Perfect pulao  (Read 34434 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect pulao
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 12:10 PM »
Phil.  Going to have a go at this today pending an answer to this.  A mug of rice? Am I splitting hairs to ask what size that is or does it not matter as long as the water is enough to cover it by 1/3" ?

I do have a preferred mug which is not as large as some; I can weigh it for you if you like, but I don't think it really matters so long as it is much closer to one mug than to two.

Also note that you use pyrex dish. I have a couple of these with proper lids but would not say they are a tight fit like some pans. Does this matter? Ta.

No, that sounds just like mine.  The weight of the lid prevents too much steam escaping, but it is by no means a hermetic seal!

** Phil.

P.S. One preferred mug of rice weighs 8 7/8 oz, or about 64 drachms & one scruple for those that prefer more traditional measures :)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 12:33 PM »
Thank you. I assume that is just the rice?  ;)
2 / 3 servings?  This amount?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 01:07 PM »
Thank you. I assume that is just the rice?  ;)

And I thought /I/ was pedantic !  Yes, 8 7/8 oz is the weight of the rice, including any trapped air, grain weevils, fungal spores, and other undetected detritus.  It was measured at an atmospheric pressure of 1002 millibars at 12:09 on 22nd January 2013 at an altitude of 13.62 metres above sea level, latitude 51.1667

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 01:20 PM »
I see that the initial post in this thread doesn't accurately describe my current methodology, so I will document the differences here :

1) Pre-heat the ghee for five minutes
2) Add the whole spices, coat in the now-liquid ghee, and cook for five minutes
3) Add the drained rice, mix gently with the spices and ghee, then cook for two minutes
4) Add the boiling water, salt, freeze-dried garlic flakes, stir gently, then cook for 12 minutes as before.

No other changes that I can spot.  The spices will tolerate longer than five minutes without burning if you want to experiment.  Don't forget to tear the Indian bay leaves into shreds, and you can crack the cardamom pods if you want to.  No more than two cloves, and they can safely be omitted if you don't like the flavour they impart.

** Phil.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 01:43 PM »
I see that the initial post in this thread doesn't accurately describe my current methodology, so I will document the differences here :

1) Pre-heat the ghee for five minutes
2) Add the whole spices, coat in the now-liquid ghee, and cook for five minutes
3) Add the drained rice, mix gently with the spices and ghee, then cook for two minutes
4) Add the boiling water, salt, freeze-dried garlic flakes, stir gently, then cook for 12 minutes as before.

No other changes that I can spot.  The spices will tolerate longer than five minutes without burning if you want to experiment.  Don't forget to tear the Indian bay leaves into shreds, and you can crack the cardamom pods if you want to.  No more than two cloves, and they can safely be omitted if you don't like the flavour they impart.

** Phil.

Blimey - got you during one of your more periphrastic moments ** Phil.   ;)

I am glad to added the update albeit my rice is now soaking and I have a bowl or spices AND ghee waiting to go in the Micro. Doh!!! Never mind, easily remedied. Unsure about giving such a small amount 5 mins but will be true to your instructions notwithstanding a slight adjustment I shall make for using a 1000W microwave.   ;D  Update to follow. Missus and girls out later so it may be a good excuse to add some of Saturday's left over Ceylon and try it out properly.

Arghh  - just spotted  'preheat ghee' - is that the same as 'cook' or is that just to melt at lower power?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 01:50 PM »
Arghh  - just spotted  'preheat ghee' - is that the same as 'cook' or is that just to melt at lower power?

"Preheat ghee" : all use of the microwave oven is at full power apart from the final resting phase.

I am glad to added the update albeit my rice is now soaking and I have a bowl or spices AND ghee waiting to go in the Micro. Doh!!! Never mind, easily remedied. Unsure about giving such a small amount 5 mins but will be true to your instructions notwithstanding a slight adjustment I shall make for using a 1000W microwave.

Mine is 850W, and in my experience both the ghee and the ghee + spices can tolerate well over five minutes without harm (this is, of course, fully-leaded butter ghee, not your watered-down namby-pamby vegetable rubbish !).  The rice, on the other hand, is another matter, and I might be inclined to recommend cutting back the two minutes to 1 minute 30 or so ...

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 01:57 PM »
Nice one Phil
You wouldn't have got away with those measurements last week  ;)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 02:00 PM »
[http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,8649.0.html author=michael.t link=topic=7664.msg87632#msg87632 date=1358863069]
Nice one Phil
You wouldn't have got away with those measurements last week  ;)
[/quote]

Hahahaha. No way I was going to mention that.  ;) certainly occurred to me though.

Should I enquire exactly how much 1/3 of an ice cream scoop is? Can't for the life of me work out why an ice cream scoop but, hey ho, in for a penny............. how big is yer scoop Phil?  ;D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 02:09 PM »
Should I enquire exactly how much 1/3 of an ice cream scoop is? Can't for the life of me work out why an ice cream scoop but, hey ho, in for a penny............. how big is yer scoop Phil?  ;D

Oh, bl@@dy h@ll, how should I know ?  It's exactly large enough to remove one scoopful of ice-cream from a 2L container of Tesco own-brand new improved Cornish Dairy Ice-cream, that's all I know.  And it's perfect for removing butter ghee from its tin, to boot :)

Photograph to follow, when I get back from returning my brand-new 2.6Kw 4-stroke generator to Lidl (damaged in transit, no replacement available).

** Phil.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 03:31 PM »
Ok done. I have some pictures but will only post at specific request.  Hey guys - rice is rice is rice ( awaits argument ).

Having followed Phil's lead with a sprinkle of this, a shake of that and a smidgeon of 'fungal spored grain weevil', my only parting from the original was forced by my lack of freeze dried garlic flake. This was substituted with a small sprinkle of garlic powder at the appropriate stage.

My concerns regarding my micro being more powerful ( it's a man thing ) than Phil's obviously cheaper model ( did that come from Lidl too Phil?  ;) ) were unfounded. Nothing burned and everything cooked, I think, as Phil intended. I did use red and green colour but very minimal. It is so easy to over do it. I would question the need for 5 minutes to melt the ghee unless there is an argument that this imparts additional flavour. ( Awaits comment ).

I must say - the smell was great whilst cooking. No, not great Bl@@dy marvellous.

On taking the finished product from the micro my first concern was the amount of water hanging on to the pyrex lid. Well at least it was on the lid and not in the rice. Lid carefully removed and water dispensed with, a quick stir revealed a still slightly tacky consistency but the rice was cooked perfectly. The tackiness did seem to go very quickly after removing lid and fluffing up. Again, lovely aroma. I have removed some of the whole spices ( then remembered that these may have been better left in if rice left overnight ) and stirred again to disperse the minimal colouring.

Verdict? - this rice looks good and indeed tastes good. I like the use of black rather than white whole cumin. It does have a strong but not unpleasant aroma and taste of aniseed. Bit obvious I suppose considering 2 x whole stars PLUS fennel seed. Personally I love it. For those who may not then I would suggest reducing the quantities as much may be lost if left out altogether.

It has now been in the fridge for around 30 mins and all the tackiness has gone, due in part I think to me placing a clean tea towel between lid and bowl to absorb some of the steam residue. Not rocket science I know but think it helped although even over-cooked rice seems to firm, separate and benefit from a night in the fridge.

My only 'downer' on this is the time it takes to cook for the amount of rice produced. I have not measured it out into trays as yet but Phil estimates 2 to 3 portions. I think I could increase quantities in the micro but not greatly.

Highly recommended if you have the time and do not need the micro for anything else.  ;)

Thanks Phil  - just waiting on the size of your ice cream scoop now but I suppose that depends on the mood you are in after lugging your compressor back to Lidl  ;)

Edit -  just measured my oxo good grips ice cream scoop - = 4 x tbsp  ;)

Have to ask though Phil - how much / many garlic flakes do you add? You seem to have omitted this information  ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:31 PM by RubyDoo »

©2024 Curry Recipes