Author Topic: Perfect pulao  (Read 34436 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect pulao
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2013, 09:34 PM »
I agree : looked more like the contents of an angler's bait box than something fit for the dinner table, but the images do prove that you can successfuilly fry rice from hot :)  Now re-scaled to reduce the unintended similarity to the larvae of Musca domestica ...

** Phil.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 04:46 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2013, 09:40 PM »
I'd have a plate of your "pavement pizza" mr M. I've long given up solely judging a book by it's cover. You may eat with your eyes but it's your tastebuds that do the real work.  Simple presentation skills can be learnt quickly,  cooking good tasty food can take a lot longer.
IMHO BIR cuisine has the advantage of being much more photogenic that most other cuisines.

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2013, 09:41 PM »
I always pre-cook the rice, then cool under a cold tap to stop the cooking process.

this is done the day before and stored in fridge until ready to cook.

just the way I've always done it...doesn't make it right ...or wrong

but...when I tried a fried rice with "hot" rice it did seem to go a mushy texture

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2013, 09:42 PM »
I agree :  more like the contents of an angler's bait box than something fit for the dinner table, but the images do prove that you can successfuilly fry rice from hot :)

** Phil.
I knew i'd seen those images somewhere before. It takes me back to my school years  when i used to go fishing and went to the tackle shop and got a half pint of pinkies and a pint of ordinary  ;D ;D

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2013, 09:51 PM »
Both today's and the one Mr Mojo cites were fried hot, and not a grain stuck

Hmm.

But you're using (presumably well rinsed) long grain basmati rice, trying frying hot short grain jasmine rice (as generally used in Chinese cooking) and see if you can keep the grains separated.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2013, 09:51 PM »
I think the key to using hot rice is to make sure it's not fully cooked sort of al dente. But I do rinse well with hot water and allow it to cool a little. I get mixed results depending on how much attention I am paying, which goes without saying I guess. I know only mix the rice through the added fried rice ingredients as opposed to cooking the rice further in the pan. I find you use less oil and the rice stays lighter and less oily.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2013, 09:55 PM »
but...when I tried a fried rice with "hot" rice it did seem to go a mushy texture

Yes, there's a real difference between "frying hot & wet rice", and "frying hot & dry rice"; "hot & wet" is a guaranteed disaster; "hot & dry" (12 mins full power, 20 mins 10%, evaporation method in microwave) works every time once you learn how much water to add.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:42 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2013, 09:57 PM »
But you're using (presumably well rinsed) long grain basmati rice, trying frying hot short grain jasmine rice (as generally used in Chinese cooking) and see if you can keep the grains separated.

According to my (75% Chinese) wife, Jasmine rice is meant to stick; that is why the Chinese prefer it.  But I will have a go next time, and post the results.

** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2013, 10:06 PM »

According to my (75% Chinese) wife, Jasmine rice is meant to stick; that is why the Chinese prefer it.  But I will have a go next time, and post the results.

** Phil.

I much prefer sticky rice too. I used to eat at Cheungs in Brighton back in the eighties, well known for it's Chinese community following. The rice was always served 'stuck' and was much easier to eat, but was never over cooked.

The best rice dish they did was crispy fried rice. I have tried many times to recreate this dish but have never managed to get anywhere close to the recipe. :-\
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:25 PM by Axe »

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2013, 03:55 AM »

** Phil.

Chinese tend to use long grain rice. Thai use Jasmine.

©2024 Curry Recipes