Author Topic: Perfect pulao  (Read 34688 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect pulao
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2013, 12:12 PM »
Chinese tend to use long grain rice. Thai use Jasmine.

I don't think there is any contradiction there, Mick : Jasmine rice (also known and sold as Thai Fragrant rice) is itself long-grain, and is used throughout my wife's very extended family as well as being served in the family restaurant.

** Phil.

Offline adamavfc

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2013, 06:16 PM »
Can I use Oil instead of Ghee phil?

You should make a video on how to make it

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2013, 06:23 PM »
Can I use Oil instead of Ghee phil? You should make a video on how to make it
I can't see why not :  there is a 90% probability it will be fine [1].  Or you could make a small quantity of ghee ("clarified butter") for yourself, if you don't want to buy 500gm -- it is very easy to make.  As to a video, I do think of them as somewhat self-indulgent :  for myself, I prefer a good, well-written, prose description, unless the technique is so sophisticated (which it is definitely not, for "microwave-cooked perfect pulao") that only by seeing it can one have a hope of replicating it.

** Phil.
--------
[1] Afterthought :  Will oil heat successfully in a microwave oven ?  I suspect that ghee heats in one because of the water content.  I will try later today to see if oil can be heated that way.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 12:04 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2013, 11:11 AM »
...As to a video, I do think of them as somewhat self-indulgent :  for myself, I prefer a good, well-written, prose description, unless the technique is so sophisticated...that only by seeing it can one have a hope of replicating it.

Couldn't agree more, Phil! How we managed to communicate recipes before the advent of video, I'll never know!

©2024 Curry Recipes