Author Topic: Eastern star curry powder ?  (Read 21384 times)

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Eastern star curry powder ?
« on: January 04, 2012, 10:52 AM »
Hi All
I attempted to source some of this sought after powder as recommended by some here
According to my research there is only 1 which is created for the Chinese take-away market
Some people are buying at 10kgs and packaging in smaller amounts  (what a good idea)   the idea is if its for a BIR they mix in some ????? spices ,or leave as it is for Chinese, which leaves me puzzled as to what the BIR,s do when using this mix.
Do they add spices or use on its own?
Someone must be in the know  ;)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Eastern star curry powder ?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 11:03 AM »
See this thread:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7635.0

It reveals the breakdown of spices for a BIR mix powder that includes Eastern Star curry powder.
You are correct it only comes in 10kg containers.

It makes we wonder if other manufacturers produce a better curry powder that is only available in catering sizes. For example Rajah Madras Gold curry powder is only available in 10kg containers.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 01:32 PM »
Hi All
I attempted to source some of this sought after powder as recommended by some here
According to my research there is only 1 which is created for the Chinese take-away market
Some people are buying at 10kgs and packaging in smaller amounts  (what a good idea)   the idea is if its for a BIR they mix in some ????? spices ,or leave as it is for Chinese, which leaves me puzzled as to what the BIR,s do when using this mix.
Do they add spices or use on its own?
Someone must be in the know  ;)
when the BIR OR T/A get their powder they mix with other spice example
5 eastern star
5 haldi
2 paprika
3 jeera
3 dhania
1 jalpur garam masala
a little chili powder
hope that helps i will sell some more when i come back off holiday

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 02:04 PM »
"Eastern Star Chinese Curry Powder"
This still doesn't sit well with me, not saying its not a real practice in ifindforu's Welsh takeaway.
But I've got experience of over 50 BIRs here in the NE and I've never seen it happen. Another point is, as a rule Bengali's don't really like the Chinese very much at all,
or their cuisine. Well at least the ones I talk to. So I don't really think they would bother with their curry powder.
In my experience the main "curry powder" used in a Bengali restaurant "Mixed Powder" has
always been 'Madras Curry Powder" which is a historic spice blend of at least 12 spices, originally dating back to the 1800's
(Some people get confused with Madras Curry Powder, as its nothing to do with heat or Madras the Curry!)

A Typical Bengali Mixed Powder =
2 tsp Madras Curry Powder
2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Cumin Powder
1 tsp Paprika
0.5 tsp Garam Masala

Switching out Madras Curry Powder for Chinese Curry Powder, may be a fun experiment and give your home curry a twist,
but I doubt it would help you achieve an authentic Bengali Restaurant flavour,

As for Eastern Star, its probably a great Chinese Curry Powder and it will after all, have a blend of familiar Asian spices in it.
But there must be loads of other brands on the market.
I noticed, even in Aldi, they had there own branded (Pantry Essentials) Chinese Curry Powder,
can't remember the price, but probably cheap and packed in 250g packets.

Anyhoo have fun experimenting.
cheers Chewy
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 02:19 PM by chewytikka »

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 02:05 PM »
There seems to be a little confusion here : I understand the mix from IFINDFORU uses Eastern star powder mixed with others spices to complete the recipe
I never knew that BIRS use Chinese take away mixes
But thanks for posting the "missing link" recipe

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 02:22 PM »
Chinese Curry Powder
This still doesn't sit well with me, not saying its not a real practice in ifindforu's Welsh takeaway.
But I've got experience of over 50 BIRs here in the NE and I've never seen it happen. Another point is, as a rule Bengali's don't really like the Chinese very much at all,
or their cuisine. Well at least the ones I talk to. So I don't really think they would bother with their curry powder.
In my experience the main "curry powder" used in a Bengali restaurant "Mixed Powder" has
always been 'Madras Curry Powder" which is a historic spice blend of at least 12 spices, originally dating back to the 1800's
(Some people get confused with Madras Curry Powder, as its nothing to do with heat or Madras the Curry!)

2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Cumin Powder
1 tsp Paprika
0.5 tsp Garam Masala

Switching out Madras Curry Powder for Chinese Curry Powder, may be a fun experiment and give your home curry a twist,

As for Eastern Star, its probably a great Chinese Curry Powder and it will after all, have a blend of familiar Asian spices in it.
I noticed, even in Aldi, they had there own branded (Pantry Essentials) Chinese Curry Powder,

cheers Chewy
Chinese Curry Powder

2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Cumin Powder
1 tsp Paprika
0.5 tsp Garam Masala

cheers Chewy

Hi Chewy
I made a Curry for a pal and before he ate he asked if it was Indian Chinese Thai Vietnamese or Australian No wonder the chefs are getting confused

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 03:20 PM »
I agree with you chewy, I don't believe that 99.9% would use a Chinese based Curry Powder in there currys or spice mix's, I did ask Abdul this question and he said no, and doesn't know of any BIR chef's that do, Personally myself I would not use it either, Just my 2 penny's worth

Les

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 04:09 PM »
"Eastern Star Chinese Curry Powder"
This still doesn't sit well with me, not saying its not a real practice in interferer's Welsh takeaway.
But I've got experience of over 50 BI Rs here in the NE and I've never seen it happen. Another point is, as a rule Bengali's don't really like the Chinese very much at all,

2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Cumin Powder
1 tsp Paprika
0.5 tsp Ga ram Masala

cheers Chewy
chewy the only thing that i can think is you only get what you pay for.Of course if there is no supploer in your area then the BIR would use their favorite tasting or smelling curry powder whether it be east end,natco,or an aldi brand ,theyl will give a curry.how good well that would be down to trial So because it is supplied by Globals of
cardiff eastern star is a top choice of curry powder in this neck of the woods, in  our T/A the curry powder used was east end ,once he smelt eastern star he has stayed with it ,even though  the most expensive powder
he tells me his custom has gone up I cant argue against that so if it improves the taste and smell of ones curry
then one would be happy,but cant be knocked if one hasn't tried it I disagree about obtaining the authentic
BIR taste because Ive achieved it with help of where i work He reveals his cooking methods and explains them to me because I'm a good friend of his. Most of the begalis i know call me brother i speak some Bengali as well I
see you have wrote a mix powder but does that achieve a  authentic BIR or T/A  NO Its all about getting on
the curry wagon and advancing forward BALA MOJAR
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 04:40 PM by ifindforu »

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 04:48 PM »
I'll give the jalpur garam masala a go first and then i'll try the eastern star curry powder.  I've no intention of pooh poohing anything until i've tried it first.  At the end of the day, if it delivers better results then i'll use it  ;) .  I will enquire from my two regular BIR's what curry powder they use in their mix powder and report back.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 04:56 PM »
I'll give the jalpur garam masala a go first and then i'll try the eastern star curry powder.  I've no intention of pooh poohing anything until i've tried it first.  At the end of the day, if it delivers better results then i'll use it  ;) .  I will enquire from my two regular BIR's what curry powder they use in their mix powder and report back.
PM ME,GIVE ME YOUR ADDRESS AND ILL GIVE YOU SOME EASTERN STAR DO YOU HAVE JALPUR ? MONEY IS NO PROBLEM YOU CAN HAVE A FREEBY

©2024 Curry Recipes