Author Topic: Roasted rice recipe  (Read 2976 times)

Offline sistermoon

• Chef
    • View Profile
Roasted rice recipe
« on: February 11, 2006, 11:13 AM »
I find this as nice on its own, as well as an accompaniment to a curry.? It has a quite nutty flavour and, if done correctly, the rice separates just perfectly.? It wont complement every curry, I did find that the creamier curries were too rich with the rice, a more tomatoey/wetter curry suits this best.? But, who am I to say anything - its up to the individual palate!

1lb basmati rice (rinsed through a few times and left to drain)
150ml vegetable oil (NOT olive oil, the rice wont cook - take it from me!!!!)
small onion, chopped finely
2 bay leaves,
8 pepper corns
6 cloves
4 cardamons, split
stick of cinnamon
1 vegetable stock cube
1/2 (half) tsp tumeric
small handful of frozen garden peas (or mixed veg)
Boiling water - check method below
Kitchen foil
Large lidded oven-proof pan

Heat the oven to 100 degrees.
Pour the oil into a large oven-proof pot, heat gently and add the chopped onion.? Cook gently until the onions are dark brown.? Add the bay leaves, pepper corns, cloves, split cardamons and stick of cinnamon and fry gently until you can smell the aroma of spices fill the air.? Add the drained basmati and stir gently, making sure that the oil coats every grain of rice.? Fry very gently for about 2 minutes. Add the frozen peas/vegetables.
Boil up some water and dissolve the vegetable stock cube in it and add to the rice - this part is crucial, you must make sure that the rice is fully covered by the water and you should aim for about 1/2 (half) inch of water above the rice (I am guessing its about 28 fl ozs but the best guide is the 1/2 inch rule).?Add the tumeric and again stir very gently. Let the rice simmer gently for approximately one minute, making sure any stray rice is not stuck to the side of the pan.? Stir very gently.? Take off the heat and seal some kitchen foil over the top of the pan and then put the lid on.? ?Put into the pre-heated oven on the middle shelf and cook for approximately 45-50 minutes.? ?Take out of the oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes before removing the lid and foil.? ?After 5 minutes, remove foil and give the rice a gently stir to separate the grains.? I tend not to remove the spices (its up to you!).? Then put a clean, dry teatowel over the top of the pan and serve when ready to eat.

It took me a few attempts but the end result is worth it.? I tried the healthier alternative with Olive oil but the rice just wont cook.? Cheap ol' vegetable oil works the best!
You can add cashews or sultana's, anything after for a bit of experiementation.

If anybody tries cooking this rice dish, please let me know what you thought!!? ?;D

« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 11:20 AM by sistermoon »

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Roasted rice recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 12:59 PM »
Hi SM, 1lb of rice is quite a few portions, have you tried halving this recipe? I guess you could freeze the end results anyway if need be

Offline sistermoon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 02:40 PM »
A 1lb of rice *is* sufficient!!  Two factors come into play in the requirement for ample portions of rice:  1)  It's so nice, people wants seconds;  2)  It's so nice, people want seconds     ;D

I froze basmati rice once and when it had defrosted, it didnt taste right, the flavour had gone and the grains became very fragile, sort of crumbly!!!!  Perhaps I didnt pack it properly for freezing or even the defrost process was incorrect??  Any tips, please?

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 07:20 AM »
Lol  ;D

When I freeze rice in general it seems fine and I think Darths rice recipe involves freezing it anyway

Offline Tregan

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 01:24 PM »
 ;D ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes