Author Topic: KFC Chicken-a-like  (Read 7198 times)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: KFC Chicken-a-like
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 02:33 PM »
Apparently death by pressure-cooker-deep-fryer-misadventure is a fate reserved by the clique leaders only for those who reveal clique secrets in public on CR0. So George is safe as he's already confirmed he's not a member.  ;)

And my efforts with google suggest to me a similar effect might be achieved by poaching the chicken before drying it, coating in spices then deep frying.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 02:56 PM »
Would you recommend this method George?

"Death by negligence : a person shall be deemed guilty of causing death by negligence if he or shall shall make a recommendation knowing that such a recommendation is likely to result in the death of a person following that recommendation in the event that such a death so ensues."

Regina v.  A. N. Other, in the High Court, 1972.
Mr James Robertson Justice, Q.C., presiding.

In that case, and in any event, I couldn't possibly recommend it. Don't try it at home, as they say. All I can say is that I took lots of precautions and none of the safeguards proved necessary, like standing a long way away, in case it blew up. My safeguards proved unnecessary because the pressure cooker didn't blow up. That's not to say it wouldn't blow up next time, although I doubt it. But I do concede it's risky.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 03:31 PM »
Regina v.  A. N. Other, in the High Court, 1972.
Mr James Robertson Justice, Q.C., presiding.

I think he's dead now, but a damm good actor in his time :)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 04:43 PM »
Here's a video on youtube (one of many) which shows (1) how many herbs and spices some people use, and (2) how they are using a pressure cooker in the middle of a family environment, without an apparent care in the world. The result does look good and they claim it tastes better than KFC.

Experimenting To Find the KFC's Original Recipe

If you view the video at youtube, there are links to a mass of other KFC-related material.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 11:17 PM »
Does anyone know how KFC get their chicken so tender so it's almost falling off the bone? Presumably it's some kind of slow cook pre-cook or a soaking in a tenderising fluid or some kind?

Natt
I read it on line somewhere that It's done in a pressure cooker, (can't remember where) but who knows if this is true or not, but there chicken is certainly tender.
But on there TV advert it show's it cooked from raw ???

Les

Yep, they use pressure fryers and soak the chicken in buttermilk before coating.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 01:13 AM »
So, are pressure fryers different to pressure cookers?  I've never seen anything like the one in the video.!

Ray :)

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 02:22 AM »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 07:07 AM »
So, are pressure fryers different to pressure cookers?
Yes.  The former operate at lower pressures than the latter, and the gasket is capable of withstanding the higher temperatures that will occur when oil is heated under pressure (400C v. 250C).  I think that Miss Vickie's page (cited earlier in the thread) sums the situation up very well indeed.

** Phil.

Offline paulirving

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 10:20 PM »
2 key things needed for kfc style chicken and that is

1 msg
2 a brolier  (the chicken has to be cooked at a consistent temp throughout) ideally 180
these special pressurised pans are usually computerised to maintain temperature
you can try to deep fry yourself but you must use a thermometer to maintain correct temperature

other ingredients salt, pepper thyme, oregano, marjoram, paprika and a touch of cumin.

all equal parts excluding salt and pepper which is just a pinch.
mix all these dry spices together, coat the chicken in an egg wash and flour then roll around in the mix.

this recipe works really well but you will notice the difference without the msg.

©2024 Curry Recipes