Author Topic: Pakistani rice recipe - perfect, and best I've ever made!  (Read 7138 times)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Pakistani rice recipe - perfect, and best I've ever made!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 07:13 PM »
Put lid on saucepan and bring to boil.
Stir in the salt.
Drain water from soaked rice and add rice to saucepan.
Stir once or twice then replace lid and leave for 4 or 5 mins.
Mark, when adding the rice do you bring it back to the boil and then simmer for 4-5 mins or leave it to come back to the boil  for this period of time?

Offline GuitarDemon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 08:17 PM »
When the rice is added, then bring back to boil and turn heat down to simmer for 5 mins. Having said that, that was the method that was given to me. My recommendation would be simmer for 5 mins, give it a good stir, then put lid back on, with the heat turned as low as it will go, so the rice steams in the remaining liquid until it is completely absorbed. Then a good going through with a fork to separate the grains, then lid back on without any heat for the rice to fluff up.

you've got me thinking that I just typed the recipe and method in as given to me, then did these extra things myself... maybe I should have been more methodical with typing the method up!!

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 10:59 PM »
When the rice is added, then bring back to boil and turn heat down to simmer for 5 mins. Having said that, that was the method that was given to me. My recommendation would be simmer for 5 mins, give it a good stir, then put lid back on, with the heat turned as low as it will go, so the rice steams in the remaining liquid until it is completely absorbed. Then a good going through with a fork to separate the grains, then lid back on without any heat for the rice to fluff up.

you've got me thinking that I just typed the recipe and method in as given to me, then did these extra things myself... maybe I should have been more methodical with typing the method up!!
Thanks for that.  Recipe writing is a bit of an art alright and one i'm still learning mate.  It's surprising how much one takes for granted  and you assume is obvious or don't even think about it :o

Offline madeinbeats

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 11:27 PM »
Just a thought. Have you tried making this fried in a wok or pan with all the same ingredients (adjusted to the portion size you are preping) using just plain or pilau rice? My local does a special rice which is a murky sort of colour. Might be worth a try... I might give your way a ago if yo reckon it's pukka then try the fried method sometime.

©2024 Curry Recipes