Author Topic: spice grinder  (Read 10470 times)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: spice grinder
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 02:23 PM »
I know Cory Ander lists it as part of his mix powder. I bought some when I tried some of his recipes. I imagine it is a spice that would go stale quite quickly once it has been ground to a powder.

Paul

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 02:25 PM »
as you know we make all our own powders etc ( because they ain't available ) [...] The reason for asking about the cardamom its a bugger to grind all the shell away without having some tiny stringy bits left in the finished powder.
Can you buy cardamom seeds ?  They should prove easier to grind ...
** Phil.

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 11:08 PM »
as you know we make all our own powders etc ( because they ain't available ) [...] The reason for asking about the cardamom its a bugger to grind all the shell away without having some tiny stringy bits left in the finished powder.
Can you buy cardamom seeds ?  They should prove easier to grind ...
** Phil.

There are many variations on cardamom - we have a Thai version which is brown and they are in a round casing - they smell and taste similar to green cardamoms but they're definitely not the same.
Green cardamoms are so expensive - we are trying to grow them at the moment and not having much success at all.
As far as going stale as PaulP imagines - yes it probably would if left to the elements but in a sealed bag inside a plastic tub in a reasonably cool place away from direct sunlight its OK - however saying that because of the expense - i grind as much as i need at anyone time.

best, Rich

Offline Dajoca

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 04:24 PM »
Hi Loveitspicy. Sorry for not getting back to you, but I hadn't seen your reply before today.

Anyway I have just tried to grind a couple of Cardomoms and it seems to do an OK job. I think more would grind better as opposed to just spinning around the grinder.
I gave it about 4, 5 second bursts which took care of most of it.
The image shows the couple of bits that were left un-ground against 2 cardomoms for scale, but the rest was reduced to powder so these bits could easily be sieved out.

Hope that helps
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 10:54 PM by Dajoca »

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 06:12 PM »
Spices of India sell cardamon powder, otherwise, you'll have to do what I did once and crack open a load of green cardamons, remove the inner seeds and grind them to a powder. Very time consuming but a nice result if you have the time and patience.... :)

Offline pamder

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 05:03 PM »
hi folks
still enjoying attempting my own curries with using your recipes and tweaking them ( usually end up chucking everything in)  :)

I would like to know if anyone could recommend a good quality grinder for grinding of mustard, fenugreek seeds etc.. ??

thanks

thanks for the replies

I bought a Swan grinder from John Lewis as I had vouchers and have to admit it has handled everything so far, peppercorns, fenugreek seeds so far so good

;)

©2024 Curry Recipes