Author Topic: Cooking Lessons with Az  (Read 164833 times)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Cooking Lessons with Az
« Reply #450 on: March 04, 2012, 06:32 PM »
Congratulations mate.  Any chance of posting the recipe W and a pic maybe
Hi CH, no pics unfortunately as it looked pretty much like the others i make other than the taste was better.

Regarding recipe, chefspoon veg oil, i had some premade Zaal base (apart from indian bay, haven't tracked any down yet :'()

Martinvic may still have some he could sell on - he bought a big batch on eBay and sold a few to me.  If you're really stuck let me know and I'll split the small supply I have and post you some.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 04, 2012, 06:36 PM »
Hi CH, no pics unfortunately as it looked pretty much like the others i make other than the taste was better.

Regarding recipe, chefspoon veg oil, i had some premade Zaal base (apart from indian bay, haven't tracked any down yet :'(), mixed powder was premade that i have from a takeaway, however i periodically make small amounts of others on here and they all seem to give similar results (imo). Watered down tom puree with a touch of tandoori masala in it, methi, deggi mirch, salt, precooked onion, homemade g/g blended with water and oil, coriander, precooked chicken tikka, finger chillis and half a tomato. Sprinkled with a pinch of jalpur GM a la curry2go at the end ;)

Happy days  :)

W
Nice one Whandsy, good to see someone getting tangible results from their efforts.

ELW

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 04, 2012, 06:38 PM »

Regarding recipe, chefspoon veg oil, i had some premade Zaal base (apart from indian bay, haven't tracked any down yet :'()

Martinvic may still have some he could sell on - he bought a big batch on eBay and sold a few to me.  If you're really stuck let me know and I'll split the small supply I have and post you some.

Thanks natterjack, ive got a few  packs of frozen base to use up yet so no hurry, next time im in the asian stores and have no joy sourcing any, i may just take you up on that ;)
W

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 04, 2012, 07:32 PM »
They may only be leaves but by golly do they make a difference :o .  One of my breakthroughs of 2011 discovering the existence of Asian bay leaves ;D  Sad am i not ??? ::) You'll soon see what I mean W when you get your hands on them.

Offline jockomalay

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 07, 2012, 06:14 AM »
Excellent post re the cooking lessons with Az
I am glad that people are now seeing the light re "singeing"  :P

After experimenting with big gas rings /high heat etc. over the past few years. see "Flaming Balti"  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1104.msg9632#msg9632 posted way back in 2006.

I have found that using a domestic gas cooker still does the bizzo, although a bit messy with the splatter and smoke inside the house as the pics from the restaurant kitchen re Az will attest. Then...buy a splatter guard?!?!

So curry fans please don?t go off on the tangent and starting detailed discussion threads about the Megawatt output of  burners etc? ::). Just think; ?If domestic cookers weren?t hot enough no houses would burn down with chip pan fires?. :o

Anyway, I have used the method below to make my Balti /Karahi style curries, which I and anybody else who has eaten them think meets the BIR taste test.

In your frypan/wok heat the oil hot and quickly sizzle your chosen spice mix until aromatic, just before burning add garlic/ginger mix this will spatter, keep cooking Add Onion, Green or Red peppers, fresh chilies, then just before everything starts to burn again add the base sauce a ladle at a time , add methi leaves (teaspoon or so) and half a tomato..Once bubbling add chicken pieces and turn down the heat and cook for a few minutes, just till the chicken is cooked through, do it too long and it gets tough. Don?t cook so long that the pepper goes soft .
Now take another pan, I use a small Karahi and add a tablespoon of oil "bog standard vegetable" . Heat till really hot "smokin" and tip your cooked curry into the pan, you may get fire, you will get sizzle, splatter and "the" smell.
Give a quick stir ..make sure your chicken is cooked..  garnish with fresh coriander and serve.
Instead of using only ground spices I have used meat masala pastes just after frying the spices but before adding the peppers & onions and it does add to the flavor, around a tablespoon for a small Karahi. I use Ashok meat Masalas brand paste here in Malaysia which is made in India, but I am sure you can get similar in the UK .
Re the bases I have tried a number of different bases and to be honest haven't noticed much difference between them. I think if you get that sort of sweet cooked onion flavour you are not far off. Again as shown in the Az base video, the base was simple.

I liked the addition in the Az cooking re the whole spice flavoured water and the home made garam masala. I will definitely have to give that a go.

Anyway Fleet 5 well done!! ;)

Cheers

Jocko

Offline gary

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 07, 2012, 08:54 AM »

I have found that using a domestic gas cooker still does the bizzo...

So curry fans please don?t go off on the tangent and starting detailed discussion threads about the Megawatt output of  burners etc?

Agreed!

Gary

Offline Petrolhead360

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 14, 2012, 11:08 PM »
Great post!

Will there be another lesson day held soon?
If there is, count me in, I would love to join.

Regards, James

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 15, 2012, 07:22 AM »
I'll speak to Az and see if he's up for running another one, I'm sure he will. I'll see if I can get some dates sorted but it will probably have to be either 25th March or 15th April.

I'll ask about an advanced course too for those who just want to cook main dishes.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 15, 2012, 08:58 AM »
Hi Chris

If Az is willing to do some kind of main & sides course please can you put me on the list.

Thanks again for making any of this possible!

Regards

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 15, 2012, 09:23 AM »
I'll speak to Az and see if he's up for running another one, I'm sure he will. I'll see if I can get some dates sorted but it will probably have to be either 25th March or 15th April.

I'll ask about an advanced course too for those who just want to cook main dishes.

I'm only 30 or so miles down the road from Fleet, so if there's room I'd love to come to the next one. (It's not important to me whether it's mains, sides, base or whatever - I just love being in BIR kitchens and picking up pearls of wisdom.)

Cheers

Gary

©2024 Curry Recipes