Author Topic: Cooking Lessons with Az  (Read 164801 times)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Cooking Lessons with Az
« Reply #240 on: February 15, 2012, 12:12 PM »
This probably explains why most of us get the bir aroma seemingly coming out of nowhere from time to time. I'm glad to find out there are no brick walls for most of us now!
ELW
Quote from the teacher and master himself " it's not ******g rocket science"   ;D ;D ;)
We've just made it that way because of lack of availability of information from reliable sources.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2012, 12:29 PM »
Do the guys who went to Zaal, think you or Az could turn out real bir quality from the recipe's on here like ca's, kd, etc, just by using better technique?
I'd be looking to revisit alot of recipe's if I notice a difference
ELW

Actually just as the base gravy,mix powder etc were not that much different to those here on the forum,the main dishes Az cooked were nothing unusual in their ingredients,and virtually identical to those listed on here.The amount of mix powder was varied for each main dish,nothing measured he just knew exactly how far to dip his chef's spoon in.My bhuna contained the usual suspects but it was definitely the way Az and I cooked it.There were no special or secret ingredients laying about in his kitchen,I had a good look around,even peering in his fridge.

Curryhell makes a valid point.We're trying to replicate Bir by cooking one or two maybe a week if lucky,he's churning them out by the bucketload almost everynight of the week.I explained to Az that I had been fortunate enough to have an evening in a BIR takeaway kitchen,and indeed had about ten hours of of one to one tution with Abdul in my home.He said that was nowhere near enough to learn his trade which he's been crafting over the years.So to answer your question yes I think the recipes on here can give quality results with the right technique.Some maybe different to Az's but that doesn't make them wrong.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 15, 2012, 12:31 PM »
This probably explains why most of us get the bir aroma seemingly coming out of nowhere from time to time. I'm glad to find out there are no brick walls for most of us now!
ELW
Quote from the teacher and master himself " it's not ******g rocket science"   ;D ;D ;)
We've just made it that way because of lack of availability of information from reliable sources.

That did make me laugh when he came out with that.

Offline Wickerman

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 15, 2012, 01:26 PM »
Wow,what a great thread.
I really must repeat what's already been said,and that's a big thank you for sharing your invaluable information for 'Free!'
For me,that really reflects what this whole website's about,and  feel privileged to be a member.
Top work guys.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 15, 2012, 01:38 PM »
A few images from the lesson...

Az warming up...note the tray of massala paste in the foreground.

Finished dishes...

All cooked by us with a little help from Az.From memory roshney,bhuna,phal and vindaloo.Note the difference in colour despite the fact they were cooked with similar ingredients.

Finished dishes...

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 15, 2012, 01:44 PM »
Look how simple the phall was.  It tasted superb.  Would we have got the same results using a slow boat method of cooking, most definitely not.  I've tried it and it comes nowhere near to what i cooked with Az's guidance on Sunday ;)

Do you mean you've tried to recreate the phall at home since Sunday and failed? That's surely the acid test, i.e. can you or any of the other "trainees" produce similar, great flavours at home by trying to repeat what you saw and did, on Sunday?

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 15, 2012, 01:52 PM »
Am currently doing the prep now and will be having a go in the next couple of hours.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 15, 2012, 01:55 PM »
How an earth did you find time to take pics, take all the notes, take a video, skewer and cook the tikka and cook your own dish Jb?? :o :o

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 15, 2012, 03:10 PM »
Wow,what a great thread.
I really must repeat what's already been said,and that's a big thank you for sharing your invaluable information for 'Free!'
For me,that really reflects what this whole website's about,and  feel privileged to be a member.
Top work guys.

I can only echo those sentiments. As I just said in my first posts in the 'Just Joined' section, this is by far the best forum on the subject out there, and like all forums it's only as good as its contributors.

And as this thread demonstrates, you guys are good!

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 15, 2012, 04:24 PM »
well pleased it went so well.

Az is for me a legend.

i'd love the opportunity to meet him if more visits go ahead - a helping hand to shorten my remaining say 9 years of training would be a dream come true.

just loving the posts. best wishes to the gallent 4.

©2024 Curry Recipes