Author Topic: Karai recipe needed.  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Franco1972

• Chef
    • View Profile
Karai recipe needed.
« on: January 12, 2012, 07:29 PM »
Hello

I am looking for help and advise on cooking a chicken or lamb Karai.  Does anyone have a recipe they can recommend for me?

Regards
Franco

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Karai recipe needed.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 08:36 PM »
Franco - is this the same as Korai or Karahi?

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 09:44 PM »
Hey Franco,

This may be close mate http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3924.0

Hope that helps?

Ray :)

Offline Franco1972

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 10:41 PM »
Sounds great, thanks.  I'll give it a go tomorror night.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 11:47 PM »
Karahi, is actually the name of the pot used for cooking and is not actually a dish, see below...

A karahi (play /kəˈraɪ/; Hindi: कड़ाही kaṛāhī, Urdu: کڑاہی; also kadai, korai, karai, kadhi, kadahi, kadhai or cheena chatti) is a type of thick, circular, and deep cooking pot (similar in shape to a wok) used in Indian,[1] Pakistani, Bangladeshi and Nepalese cuisine. Karahi are traditionally made out of cast iron, and look like woks with rounded bottoms. They are sometimes now made with other materials like stainless steel and copper and non-stick, and flat-bottomed varieties now exist.

Karahi are useful for the shallow or deep frying of meat, potatoes, sweets, and snacks such as samosa and fish, but are most noted for the simmering of stews or posola,[2][3] which are often named karahi dishes after the utensil.

Stews prepared in a karahi include "chicken karahi" and "karahi paneer." Stews prepared using other methods are sometimes also referred to as karahi. The name karai is so much attached to cooking that one Bangladeshi TV program on cooking was named ?Korai Khunti?

Dishes such as Bhuna and a lot of Balti's are cooked in a Karahi style pot, and as Razor kindly pointed out, CA's dish is a typical display of that kind of cooking. Incidently, I have tried CA's dish and it is absolutely wonderful.

Thanks for pointing that out Razor, I had not made this for ages, but will now give it another go :)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 09:59 AM »
Thanks for pointing that out Razor, I had not made this for ages, but will now give it another go :)

No problem Bob, two birds with one stone and all that ;)

Ray :)

©2024 Curry Recipes