Author Topic: Frequently Asked Questions  (Read 55451 times)

Offline Sheila

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Frequently Asked Questions
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 06:43 PM »
I am a newbie here, I joined today, I loved reading about Curry King's visit to Saffron in Lincoln. Also great to share the base gravy of many curries. My question is how long can you keep this base gravy and I am presuming it has to be kept in the fridge?

This looks a great site and I think I shall be learning a lot. ;D

TIA :)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 06:55 PM »
Hi Sheila,

The curry base can be kept in the fridge for a few days. I've never used it personally past the third day.

A lot of us freeze it and thaw as needed. What I do is pour the base into snack/sandwich bags, and then freeze, so I can then use single serving portions as needed.

Hope this helps!

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 07:18 PM »
i've tried freezing it but feel much of the flavour to be lost.

it'll keep in the fridge for upto 2weeks no probs. i must admit that once a base is made i finish it within 9 days anyhow.

i also tend to make a reduced size base (800g onion) quite often and that seems to fit well with a week's orders.

Offline CardiffCurrylad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 07:52 PM »
I must say this "FAQ" is very helpful. I found the article by Bruce Edwards very intresting indeed. Thanks again  :)

Offline SteveAUS

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 04:45 AM »
When youve made a base and are about to divide it up into containers to freeze. How many mls (average) are you looking at per portion? Many recipes just say portion or bag of base. 200-300mls?
Cheers
Steve

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 10:17 AM »
When youve made a base and are about to divide it up into containers to freeze. How many mls (average) are you looking at per portion? Many recipes just say portion or bag of base. 200-300mls?  Cheers  Steve
I tend to think in Imperial units, and for me 3/4 pint is the norm, but I store my base (chilled, not frozen) in plastic takeaway containers that hold 500ml (small) or 650ml (large).  I would normally use the small size, and maybe 4/5 full, so that works out at about 400ml. 

** Phil.

Offline SteveAUS

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 11:30 AM »
Thanks Phil
Steve

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2012, 11:36 AM »
But I guess it also depends on the size of your normal portion.  I would normally cook two free-range chicken breasts (reasonably large) as one portion; if your norm is only one breast, then halving both base and spicing [1] would seem reasonable.  My portions aim to serve two, or to leave enough for another day ...

** Phil.
--------
[1] Or not, but let's not get into that one here !

Offline SteveAUS

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2012, 12:06 PM »
My portions would be for two people. I'll go with 400ml for now
Cheers
Steve

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2012, 12:23 PM »
Just spotted this one, reading back through the thread :

The curry base can be kept in the fridge for a few days. I've never used it personally past the third day.

I find that on the lowest shelf of a refrigerator running at a nominal 4oC, I can keep my base chilled and fresh for at least a fortnight in conventional plastic takeaway containers with a lid.  In fact, I used the last of my last batch last night, it looked and smelled absolutely perfect (no signs of mould or of separation) and I see on looking back at my posts that this particular batch was first cooked on 29th July at the latest (quite possibly earlier), so that makes it a minimum of fourteen days old.  But a 'fridge running at 4oC keeps food fresh a lot longer than one running at 5oC (the standard setting), so this is an important aspect if you are planning to keep your base chilled for more than a few days, as is the need to keep it in the coldest part of the 'fridge (usually the lowest shelf).

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes