Author Topic: Vanilla  (Read 11496 times)

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 07:49 PM »
We all know it
There is a difference we can't get
I am really looking forward to this report
Apart from Curryqueen, Curry King and myself, noone has actually seen a base prepared,
and noone has seen the full sized base done
What worries me, is the similarity between the demos
There is never a new ingredient
I tried the Bengal Cuisine demo base again
You  know, it's pretty good
Just lacking that special taste
I think it's more to do with the reuse of old oil, than fresh ingredients in the base.
There must be at least twenty of us, who have been trying all manner of ideas, for at least ten years
What are the chances that we couldn't have stumbled on to the origin of the taste?
Every chef, I have spoken to, confirms the same basic ingredients
Some say boil certain things, some say fry them, but always the same general ingredients
There was a time when I was so bothered, by not knowing, that it was driving me crazy
I even bought a tandoor thinking that had some link to the puzzle.
That was over ?400!!!
Whatever the secret is, I am sure of one thing:-
It must be cheap
One chef told me that they don't always put tomatoes in the base, because they get too expensive.
So cost rules
I get suckered into "make curry like a restaurant" scam on the internet too!
I'm still that desperate to know
I am really hoping on this report

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 09:47 PM »
We are back again to the old favourite secret base recipee....May I ask again, because I don't think anybody answered me last time I asked, did any body listen to the Indian guy (in India on the Delhi Belly programme) talking about cooking different curry bases and saying that he cooked them (or was it the currys) for hours on low heat?  I didn't fully concnetrate on those programmes because of the build up to the Wales v England rugby match. :-[  he seemed to think that it was important enough to mention.....

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 09:32 AM »
Sorry Ader1 missed it m8.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 10:52 AM »
Jimmy

I hope your cooking lesson goes well. I suggest you could get a BIR take away of your favourite dish(es), a few hours before the lesson - the same dish(es) you want the teacher to show you, but from your favourite restaurant. Then, if you're in any doubt as to whether what you produce at the lesson is anywhere near as good as (or better) than the genuine article, you can both taste the difference. And in advance, explain to the teacher - "that's the taste I'm trying to replicate. Can you produce that taste?"

Regards
George

Offline jimmyja

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 10:03 PM »
Hi all,

Counting down the days. Good idea George, I'll get a takeaway with him. Taste it! Explain the taste just so we get it right. Chicken Jalfarezi... mmmh.... See if we can replicate that.

This forum is fantastic, I've never encountered so many people who are so willing to help and discuss something that is so very interesting. Thank you all so very much. I've only been into this since November last year but I have eaten curries for as long as I can remember.... I used to work quite late and often used to visit my favorite curry shop for a sitty in on my own? Always a something spicy and always some korma sauce! I just love the spice then the sweet? mmhh curry!

I'm sure the lesson will go well. Trust me, I will take down every piece of information I am given and post it all for you all to read.

Saying that the base sauce I posted a few weeks ago was lovely, I got about 13 portions left in the freezer.

Maybe we should arrange a curry meet in the future. Best semi professional curry chef 2006. Saying that, all you guy?s n girls are already there!

I will be in touch soon.

Rgd?s

Jimmy

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 11:21 PM »
And what will you do if he makes you swear an oath of allegiance to never divulge the secrets of this elite brotherhood? :o

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006, 12:55 AM »
Jimmy

Here's another thought, and I'm serious too. Rig up some form of audio tape recorder to record the whole lesson. A VHS hi-fi deck can record 6 hours audio on long play I think. A cheap modern DVD-recorder can also record 6 hours audio/video on a standard blank DVD. That way you won't miss anything.

Microphone > amp > recorder

Regards
George

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 08:46 AM »
You missed three George.....  > Lights > Camera > Action !!!!  ;D

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 10:51 AM »
You missed three George.....? > Lights > Camera > Action !!!!? ;D

Yes, a video camera (with sound) would be even better, of course. But to set up a camera to cover everything and presumably not be seen (if filming in secret) would be a lot more difficult, I think.

Of course, all this pre-supposes, and is in the hope, that a replay is worthwhile - that the lesson actually produces the goods, but perhaps the next time the student tries the same dish, it isn't as good, and the student can then search, on the replay for a possible reason why.

Regards
George

Offline broon-loon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2006, 05:44 PM »
Why not go for a webcam, so we can all see the action!! ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes