Author Topic: Base Sauce through to Chicken Tikka Jalfrezi  (Read 6614 times)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Base Sauce through to Chicken Tikka Jalfrezi
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 07:57 PM »
Never actually cooked CT's version.  Take two definitely looks the business.  How did it compare in taste to take one?  You're becoming an expert at giving us a pictorial account of your cooking, which is much appreciated by many and is always very useful for people cooking the dish for the first time.  You're learning by your mistakes, as we all do on here, other than the perfect ones ;).  How does the dish compare to you your local BIR?
As for the tomato paste, i would be inclined to dilute it further rather than increase the amount.  You can easily over do this stuff.  It's essential but too much of it can ruin an otherwise great curry.  Stay with this dish and work at it Terramamba.  It's surprising what can be learnt each time you cook it.  Great stuff mate.  Keep it up 8).  Welcome to the never-ending journey ::)

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 06:21 PM »
Never actually cooked CT's version.  Take two definitely looks the business.  How did it compare in taste to take one?  You're becoming an expert at giving us a pictorial account of your cooking, which is much appreciated by many and is always very useful for people cooking the dish for the first time.  You're learning by your mistakes, as we all do on here, other than the perfect ones ;).  How does the dish compare to you your local BIR?
As for the tomato paste, i would be inclined to dilute it further rather than increase the amount.  You can easily over do this stuff.  It's essential but too much of it can ruin an otherwise great curry.  Stay with this dish and work at it Terramamba.  It's surprising what can be learnt each time you cook it.  Great stuff mate.  Keep it up 8).  Welcome to the never-ending journey ::)

Cheers mate!  :)

Take two was better for me as not creamy and more savoury. But lacked the salty savoury depth of my local BIR, I was happier with the colour of my dish though.

Thanks for the tip for tomato paste will add that, and stick to this recipe until its perfect. Well as near as I can get!  ;)

I agree if definitely feels like a never ending journey, lol!

;D

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 07:06 PM »
Welcome to our world. Now there's being critical and there's being critical of your own cooking.  You'll be surprised how soon you become an expert at the latter even when it's not really justified ;).  Enjoy this wonderful journey and make sure you keep us up to speed on how it's going :)  Best of luck mate.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 09:39 PM »
Hi Terramamba

Now that's a great follow up post, love the shot with the ipad (MMagic) :D

Looks really good for only your second attempt, well done mate. ;)

The colour in mine, comes from the combination, Kashmiri Chilli, Red Masala Mix, Tom Puree

your Red Masala doesn't look too red in the photo, but your finished dish looks good colour either way.

In any Restaurant Jhal Frezi the main background flavour is the tang of the Red Masala Mix.

Once you have this cracked, there are quite a few dishes on a menu, you can cook at home.
A Tikka Shashlik Masala is another one of my favs.

Keep posting your results, really interesting reading
and by the looks of it, very good eating ;D
cheers Chewy

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 10:11 PM »
Hi Terramamba,

I love your posting with all the clear photos and stuff. I've made the same base (ifindforu) although I think I used a bit too much g/g paste and spices and didn't make it up to volume (I now estimate 6 to 6.5 litres) and didn't cook for long enough after blending. I'll get it right next time and next time I'll put it through a sieve or buy a food mill as I really feel it improves the texture and taste of any base sauce. This idea was introduced by Chewytikka and it really works but makes for more washing up!

I can still cook edible curries with it though, I just water it down and cook it more in a pan before making a curry.

Cheers,

Paul  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes