Author Topic: Hologen cookers  (Read 8011 times)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Hologen cookers
« on: January 23, 2012, 09:34 AM »
I was interested to see terramamba's halogen cooker in this thread http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7779.msg67992#top perhaps I've led a sheltered life but I've somehow not come across this type of appliance before. Just interested to know if any members own one and would recommend it? If so, what do you find yourself cooking in it?

A quick look on amazon and I found this one, but want to research before I decide whether to buy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Premium-Replaceable-WARRANTY/dp/B002LYQF7A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327311221&sr=8-1

I have an electric fan oven which is pretty much ideal for roasting, etc so wondering if I would really use a halogen cooker or not. I can see how it might be advantageous for reducing energy consumption and limiting the ambient temperature in the kitchen at the height of summer but having bought and then consigned to cupboards a sandwich maker, bread maker & electric meat grinder I'm Anxious not to purchase another "counter queen"!

Thoughts?

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Hologen cookers
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 10:10 AM »
Hi Natterjak!

;D

I use my halogen oven a lot, for numerous things, a roast, lasagne, even cheese on toast. It cooks good pastry too. My roast potatoes always come out crispy in it, don't know about my Yorkshire pudding though! I was lucky to be given mine, as I think they can be around the ?50 mark. The halogen can thaw food and act as a dishwasher, I've not tried the dishwasher bit, but thawing is good, takes a bit longer than the microwave. I like the way it heats up very quickly, that also means it cooks a bit quicker too, but as it's on the counter top it's easy to see when it's burning! I don't own a microwave so it's what I use instead.

I know what you mean about counter queens! I fallen foul to those before, I'm dead chuffed with my halogen oven and would definitely buy another if mine broke. I have tried to cook a chutney in it before, massive failure. It functions well for me, for a multitude of cooking, also I really like the light it emits.

Flavourwave machine (as in the picture) is the best from Thane Direct.

I have a good mate who writes cookery books, she is often sent all sorts of devices to test with a hope from the manufacturer of a good review. It's from her that I was given mine, she kept the best one, lol! The Flavourwave is the one she recommends.

From what I understand there are two basic types, one with a removable lid, that sits on a stand, which is easier to clean or a hinged lid, that makes it safer as the halogen bulb gets very hot.

Hope that helps!

:)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 03:12 PM »
That does help thanks, terramamba. Now the only factor this might hinge on is whether I can dispose of enough of my other counter queens to create a space for a halogen cooker! Now who wants to buy a Braun multipractic food processor? Been in the family 25 years, used no more than three times  ;D

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 04:34 PM »
Sadly don't know anything about them mate.

But I was sure I had seen on recently somewhere, and I had.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_22898.htm?WT.mc_id=2012-01-13-10-08

Was a week or so ago, but might be some still knocking about in your local Aldi?

Anyway thought I'd give you an heads up on it, whether any use or not. ;)

Martin

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 04:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I did buy one - the Andrew James 12l. Had a bit of a struggle using it so far but I'm sure I'll get the hang of things before too long.

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 04:30 PM »
Hi Natterjak!  :)

Good luck with your halogen! I'm planning to use mine for cooking chicken, the way Heston B. did last week on the tv. Brining it overnight to add moisture, 60g salt per litre of water. Roast 90c 1.5 hrs, to test it's cooked use a probe to 60 degrees, rest uncovered 45 mins. It looked so succulent and tasty.

Although the chicken won't have that charred look and taste I'm hoping that by finding the right kind of pan to use I'll achieve that smokey taste....one day!!!!!

All the best  ;D

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 04:45 PM »
Well I guess it can be browned at the end of cooking with 10 or 15 mins at a high temp. Let me k ow how the Heston technique works out please?

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 05:13 PM »
Well I guess it can be browned at the end of cooking with 10 or 15 mins at a high temp. Let me k ow how the Heston technique works out please?

That's an excellent idea, and to make it Heston inspired I could use a blowtorch, lol!

I'm sure to be sharing results of the brining and low temperature cooking, all the best  ;D

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Halogen cookers
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 11:58 AM »
I'm planning to use mine for cooking chicken, the way Heston B. did last week on the tv. Brining it overnight to add moisture, 60g salt per litre of water. Roast 90c 1.5 hrs, to test it's cooked use a probe to 60 degrees, rest uncovered 45 mins. It looked so succulent and tasty.

I used Heston's method at least four times about 5 years ago. So I gave it a fair crack and decided 'never again' because I found I prefer non-brined poultry. This was for roast meals. Perhaps it would be different if brined chicken is submerged in a curry sauce. The chicken/turkey didn't taste salty or anything but it completely alters the texture and, I reckon, the taste. I wasn't persuaded. I'll be interested to hear what you think.

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Halogen cookers
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 12:09 PM »

I used Heston's method at least four times about 5 years ago. So I gave it a fair crack and decided 'never again' because I found I prefer non-brined poultry. This was for roast meals. Perhaps it would be different if brined chicken is submerged in a curry sauce. The chicken/turkey didn't taste salty or anything but it completely alters the texture and, I reckon, the taste. I wasn't persuaded. I'll be interested to hear what you think.

Hi George!

Thanks for that, I'm a little unsure about marinating the chicken to start, not sure what the brining will then do? I shall give it a go anyway  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes