Author Topic: Hologen cookers  (Read 8009 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Halogen cookers
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 04:18 PM »
Hi George! Thanks for that, I'm a little unsure about marinating the chicken to start, not sure what the brining will then do? I shall give it a go anyway  :)

I suspect the brining might negate the marination to a greater or lesser extent, as in washing it away. I'd be inclined to marinate afterwards. Or just try cooking without a marinade, first off, so you can access the impact of the brining, like I did. Good luck, anyway!

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Halogen cookers
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 05:01 PM »
Thanks George! It'll seem odd, I really like doing the marinade, but I think you're right. I shall try it without. :) all the best!

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hologen cookers
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 03:00 PM »
Hi Natterjak!

;D

I use my halogen oven a lot, for numerous things, a roast, lasagne, even cheese on toast. It cooks good pastry too. My roast potatoes always come out crispy in it, don't know about my Yorkshire pudding though!

Hi TM

What kind of times / temps would you use for a pork crackling joint and roast potatoes, and do you parboil your roast spuds?  The biggest issue I'm having at present is is ease of manipulation to move stuff around, or rather lack Of ease.  Anything not on the top shelf doesn't seem to cook at all!

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 04:11 PM »
Hi NJ!

With the roast spuds, the halogen recipe book says to parboil 10 mins, roast at 220c for 50-60 mins.

What I do is ;D heat the halogen up to max, remove all racks, add oil, peel spuds halve the big ones and chuck in! Keep an eye on them and they're done to perfection  ;) in around 45-50 mins.

With a pork crackling joint the halogen recipe book says heat to 210c, place joint on low rack, in a tray, cook for 20 mins, heat down to 180c for 20 mins to every 500g. If meat starts to look too dark, cover with foil. Leave meat to rest for 15-20 mins.

I'd follow that, but when meat is out, carefully remove the skin, wack up the heat, place skin back into the oven, and keep a very close eye, generally I manage to burn mine, but it's still quite edible, reckon about 10 minutes or so. Additionally before adding meat at the start, I'd cut into the skin, remove excess moisture and add salt.

The top shelf is a bit quirky, I agree, good for grilling, I find anything that needs more time I put lower down.

Glad you're using your halogen and it hasn't become a counter queen!!!  :)

As for moving stuff around, I use a long handled pair of tongs, still manage to burn myself though! Lol!

All the best,
Colette.

;D

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 05:14 PM »
Thanks collette, so you would cook directly in the glass bowl (no rack) and put joint there with potatoes around it?

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 09:03 PM »
Yes that's right, no rack, directly into the bowl. Although, the meat wouldn't do too well at the higher temperature required for the spuds. Doing both together I'd use the lower temperature, the spuds would take longer, but to get them crispy increase the heat at the end, along with the crackling.

All the best  ;D

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 10:26 PM »
Thanks. I managed to make nearly a whole meal in mine tonight. Burgers and bacon with fried egg and chips. Just the steamed veg were done in the microwave. Fried egg was a revelation actually. Evenly cooked instead of tough on the underside and runny on top as per frying on the hob.

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 10:39 PM »
Fried egg in the halogen? Please explain how! I'm intrigued! :)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 10:44 PM »
Very simple, just break the egg into a pre heated non stick pan and cook at 250 degrees for about 5 mins.

You can cook a whole breakfast in a Hologen according to this link:

http://halogenovenrecipes.forumotion.com/t1656-all-day-breakfast-with-andrew-james?highlight=all+day+breakfast

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 10:45 PM »
Excellent, thank you, I'll be trying that  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes