Author Topic: What curry spoon  (Read 13268 times)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
What curry spoon
« on: January 31, 2012, 12:58 PM »
Hi

Need to buy a new long handled serving spoon / curry spoon.

Mine has a rubber handle - and I have had enough of the rubber handle melting and leaving red hot molten plastic / rubber on my hand :(

I cannot find a local shop selling anything remotely 'curry spoon'. So found these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Serving-Spoon-12-Stainless-Steel/dp/B00366JW04/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1328014298&sr=8-13

http://www.redrob.co.uk/p-3187-plain-spoon-with-hook.aspx

Question is! - what is the ideal length for a general purpose curry spoon? 12 inches, 14, 16?

Oh, also does anyone have any opinion if the spoons above actually any good as a curry spoons?

Thanks in advance!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: What curry spoon
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 01:34 PM »
I think I must be feeling particularly bitter and twisted today, so I apologise in advance if the following causes offence, but I do seriously question the need for any member of CR0 to go out of his way to acquire "a curry spoon".  I cook all of my curries using the utensils that I use for everything else : wooden spatulae, non-stick spoon, non-stick slotted spoon, non-stick (fish) slice, non-stick ladle, and so on, and a non-stick frying pan cum wok, from Macro.  As far as I can tell, the curries are just fine : certainly as good as from the Taj of Kent, and considerably better than those from the other nearby BIR, which had better remain nameless.  So am I really producing inferior results to those who have 8,5Kw crematoria, long-handled curry spoons containing anywhere between 2 & 4 1/2 tablespoons, and so on ?  Or do we sometimes fool ourselves into believing that the tool makes the man (e.g., if I buy a Bosch Professional power drill, will I be a better carpenter than if I buy one costing 1/5th as much from Lidl ?).  Serious question, and definitely not intended to offend my good friend SP.

** Phil.

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 02:45 PM »
(e.g., if I buy a Bosch Professional power drill, will I be a better carpenter than if I buy one costing 1/5th as much from Lidl ?).  Serious question, and definitely not intended to offend my good friend SP.

No, but your Bosch power drill will almost certainly last a lifetime (mines on about 30 years old and still going strong) whereas your cheapo Lidl rubbish will last 5 seconds if you're lucky along with most other mechanical rubbish made in this country.

But I agree with regards to the 'chef's spoon', 'curry spoon' or whatever you want to call it. I have one, a good one, no rubber handle, it came as part of a set, and I use it for dishing up, nothing else - I don't use it for cooking with. Like you, I use flat wooden spatulas for cooking with, because that's what I've always used and they're perfectly adequate for the job at hand.

Like you, I don't understand the infatuation with these spoons over and above the desire to completely emulate a typical BIR chef, without actually thinking or understanding why they use them.

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 02:47 PM »
Hi SS

I'd go for one like the Amazon 12" (but in truth not at that price).
I have both you have listed, and the 14" one is, to me, too long and uncomfortable to hold when cooking.

I got a couple (really cheap), plus other bits and pieces, when I did my order from Dadibhais, to make the postage worthwhile.
Plus I needed some, because I usually cook for three (2 curries + rice), and I think serving spoons (one for each dish) are better for self serving.

If you can't find any from your local supermarkets (lidl/Aldi have them in occasionally), maybe have a look on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Steel-Plain-Serving-Spoon-12-08300012-/390367968310?pt=UK_BOI_Restaurant_RL&hash=item5ae3be7c36

Martin

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 03:54 PM »
Hi

martinvic, many thanks for the link and suggestions, much appreciated!

I think one needs to use whatever tool they are comfortable with. I started from the beginning with a large curry spoon because that is what I saw all the BIR chefs using. Now it feels so natural, I couldn't imaging using anything else. Although I totally accept what others have said about producing the same results with plastic tools etc.

The trouble is, when using a big gas burner, my plastic handled spoon was melting - even when away from the direct flame, hence why keeping hands away from the flame at the other end of a long spoon is a must! in this case a wooden spoon or a non-stick plastic fish slice is going to be destroyed in no time. But the right tool for the specific situation. I believe you have an induction hob Phil? - so for you this is never going to be a real problem :)

Thanks chaps.

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 04:31 PM »
Interesting post here.................. ;D
I have always used wooden spoons never burned one or melted one
Any spoon that suits is perfect for the job

I expect soon we will see a BIR chef juggling with spoons on a video like a cocktail bar waiter,it may impress some of the Ego- massagers on this forum but will not make you a better cook :)

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 05:11 PM »
Hi All

I previous to xmas used a meyer analon wok come omelette pan with a plastic spoon fot cooking my curries.  The wife bought me an ali pan and spoon to use to see what all the fuss was about.

Cooked with the ali pan at the weekend.  Noticed no difference in my curry taste.  the noise of the metal spoon scaraping the pan was starting to grate on me a bit so will try the ali pan with the plastic spoon.  You do need to be more careful with the plastic but never melted it yet!!!!

regards

Barry

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 05:45 PM »
Hi SP,

The only reason that the BIR's and I and others use a 'chefspoon, curryspoon' or whatever you want to call it, is because they have very long handles.  The handles are so long that you can leave it in the pan whilst the curry is frying away and it will not get that hot that you can't hold it.  You could use any spoon that you like such as a domestic chefspoon/serving spoon but the handles will get red hot meaning that you either have to rinse it off or rest it on a plate after every time it has exited the pan, that's if you don't want curry all over your work surface..!

The alternative is, wooden spoons which are fine but they stain and deteriorate, especially if you use a dishwasher to clean them.

I don't think there is an infactuation with these long handled spoons, I think that they just provide a practical solution to help avoid further mess that this curry lark often produces.

Ray :)

p.s, my long handled chef/curryspoon was 1.50GBP :P

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 05:47 PM »
Wouldn't be without my stainless chef's spoon so handy for slicing through the chicken pieces in the pan to check they are cooked through plus cant imagine doing any serious scraping around the frying pan with wooden spoons  ??? I do use an aluminium pan though  ;)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 06:17 PM »
I have ordinary stainless steel utensils - I use a soup ladle which gives exactly 100ml of base and I use it for measuring only. I then use a normal large spoon for cooking the curry and don't have any problems with either. If I came across a spoon that shouted "curry" I'd probably buy one at the right price but I wouldn't attach any significance to the purchase, other than I'd buy it for the sake of it.

©2024 Curry Recipes