Author Topic: What curry spoon  (Read 13263 times)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: What curry spoon
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 09:29 PM »
Wouldn't be without my stainless chef's spoon so handy for slicing through the chicken pieces in the pan to check they are cooked through plus cant imagine doing any serious scraping around the frying pan with wooden spoons  ??? I do use an aluminium pan though  ;)
here here :).  We've been together now for 20 years and no arguments or hints of separation yet ;D.  Anything else now would be totally alien.

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 02:06 PM »
I don't know what size mine is, probably 14" (it's definitely a whopper!) and I find it very good to cook curries with. The main advantage, as others have said, is the greater length keeps your hand away from the heat source - this is obviously going to be a great help to you SP because of the burner you have (and the fact there is no rubber). It's also useful if you're a 'dipper' as well (i.e. using the cooking spoon to add spices to the pan, as opposed to pre-measuring).

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 06:52 PM »
solarsplace,

4tbsp level, 17" long (440mm), stainless steel. could not live without it.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2968.msg26928#msg26928

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 08:09 PM »
Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the replies, and I hope this may be of help to other members too!

For those that were very kind and provided measurements of their 'curry spoons', please can I impose upon you to confirm if your measurements were from:

a) Handle tip to spoon tip.

b) Handle tip to start of spoon base.

I thought I had my 'Curry spoon' length issue resolved into approx 12 inch or 14 inch max, until our good friend JerryM 'chucks in' a 17 inch-er! into the equation :)

Thanks again!

Regards

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 08:57 PM »
My long spoon is 17" too. end to end 1 piece stainless steel.

Frank.   ;)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 07:38 AM »
Mine is 39cm from the tip ;)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 09:46 AM »
Hi Chaps

Thanks for all your indulgences and lengths.

I may be ultra-sad and measure the length of Az's 'curry spoon' this week end (hopefully curry lessons will be all good and go ahead) as that could just reveal the true optimal length of a professionals tool :)

Cheers again

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 09:54 AM »
Hi Sp
I have a draw full of Curry/Chef's spoons, but only one actual BIR Chef's spoon,
which is a heavy hand made steel weapon and is guaranteed to give your wrist a bad case of RSI over time.
16 inch and twice the weight as a average serving spoon and cuts through the meat like a knife and bashes the hell out of my Ali pans.

I agree, a bit of an overkill for this domestic hob and I don't need to use it, but it still feels good in the hand.
I don't use it in my videos, because it makes far too much clatter/noise.

GenWare are a popular brand in the BIR catering kit, Crosbys supply most of the Restaurants I know around here.
http://www.crosbys.co.uk/back-of-house-c2/chefs-utensils-c7/genware-stainless-steel-serving-spoons-pp159

Just a point too the usual 'contraire' suspects, if you took up Golf, its safe to say you
would need some Golf clubs. ::)

Don't know if other members have noticed, but c2g seems to be prompted into giving his "take" on current topical threads, like this one,
but doesn't actually post ANY of his videos or get involved in discussion on cR0.
But no doubt, he will start selling Chef's Spoons next. :D

cheers Chewy

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 10:06 AM »
I may be ultra-sad and measure the length of Az's 'curry spoon' this week end (hopefully curry lessons will be all good and go ahead) as that could just reveal the true optimal length of a professionals tool :)
Are you sure it's all about length, Ray ?  My understanding (from a number of sources) is that the real skill lies in what one /does/ with the tool, rather than with in its length (or width) per se ...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:30 AM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 10:37 AM »

Hi Chewy

Thanks for the advice and links, much appreciated. Looks the business and at a decent price.

Are you sure it's all about length, Ray ?  My understanding (from a number of sources) is that the real skill lies in what one /does/ with the tool, rather than with in its length (or width) per se ...

Phil, there is no need to start questioning Ray's length now is there ;)

But yes, as you quite correctly point out, one needs a good technique too :)

Cheers

©2024 Curry Recipes