Author Topic: Canned / Bottled Base  (Read 3424 times)

Offline ootini

• Chef
    • View Profile
Canned / Bottled Base
« on: January 31, 2012, 03:55 PM »
Wouldn't it be handy if you could buy canned or bottled base sauce?

I've got nothing against making my own apart from all the faff that goes with it. And the fact that I have to make so much of the stuff. The Mrs won't let me eat curry "all" the time so I have to freeze it and to be honest, it never tastes the same after it's been frozen. Some canned or bottled base would be my dream! As long as it was decent of course!

Offline Robert

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Canned / Bottled Base
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 03:07 PM »
Wouldn't it be handy if you could buy canned or bottled base sauce?

Hi Ootini,
               I make a concentrated base similar to Razor's excellent base puree, http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5189.0 because freezer space is limited, but I omit the spices. My thinking here is that the more spice you have in the base the less versatile it becomes, and as I'll be adding some at the cooking stage anyway I don't see it as much of a time saver.

I expect a commercial base would have to do the same, but where would be the market? BIRs could probably still make their own cheaper and supermarket customers might assume it is a cook-in sauce and be disappointed with the results, unless they read the directions on the label first, decided it was all too complicated and put it back on the shelf. Perhaps I'm being too pessimistic and someone will eventually do it, perhaps in large containers aimed at the catering trade.

Having said that, my local Asian supermarket does stock big jars of cooked onion puree, but prepared with olive oil. Haven't lurked long enough to check out who buys these though, anyone tried them?

Rob

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 08:19 AM »
I've been to some TAs that blatantly used canned tomato soup, so I suppose for some it does, doesn't make nice vindaloo though.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 08:45 AM »
It's a grand idea, but I'm not sure I'd like to use a commercially produced base (unless of course it came from the kitchen of a top BIR, perhaps).

I actually enjoy making base tremendously (especially when it turns out to be a cracker). It's all part of the BIR process, and skipping that stage would mean that the curry on your table wouldn't have been completely produced by you.

For me, the base is the most important element of BIR cookery. After all, it comprises 90% of the curry, so it has to be right if you're after the best possible result.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 10:21 AM »
it never tastes the same after it's been frozen.

It will taste even worse after it's been bottled or frozen.
And worse again after the inevitable addition of various preservatives and other chemicals.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 10:23 AM »
it never tastes the same after it's been frozen.

It will taste even worse after it's been bottled or frozen.
And worse again after the inevitable addition of various preservatives and other chemicals.

The word Sharwood's comes to mind.

Offline GeorgeC

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 10:00 PM »
I love this idea and with respect to people not reading the instructions, theres no reason the base sauce couldn't come with packs of spices or even better a recipe book?

I would agree that as soon as something like this goes national its going to be packed full of crap and lose its identity.

On a small scale however, it could easily be sold at a town market or somewhere where you can interact with customers and explain its purpose.

As a teacher I'm eager to run something like this to engage children who struggle with mathematics and have really contemplated running a market stall for curries.  I do feel though that its only going to make ?100+ not ?100,000,000+ unfortunately Mrs Patak got in there first =(

Offline coffee

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 10:44 PM »

Bought this from somewhere(cant remember where) but not tried it.
Contains onions(44%),tomato 42%, veg oil, ginger , garlic salt,

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/imagehost/pics/66565baf2fe08841bba3bd2be5432157.jpg

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile

©2024 Curry Recipes