Author Topic: Spiced oil from a BIR  (Read 27415 times)

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Spiced oil from a BIR
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2006, 04:59 AM »
Just a thought , since there are such varying flavors for both the base sauces and final dishes , does it not follow that the spiced oils will also have a multitude of tastes . It would therefore seem difficult to maintain a continuity of flavor as the underlying taste is constantly changing . However , I suppose if one stuck to one dish in order to just reclaim the oil , the flavor would be maintained .

CC :-\

Offline John

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2006, 10:13 PM »
i've just come across a website that shows how to make a basic version of Spiced Oil.
Heres the site for anyone thats interested http://www.experimentalkitchen.org/article.php/2005040318292155

and heres the recipe they show:
------------------------------------------------
Infused oils are incredibly versatile, they can be used to replace plain oil in a favorite recipe or they can be used as a condiment on finished dishes.

This recipe can be easily halved, if you doubt your ability to use up a whole cup of infused oil.

1 cup canola oil
1 shallot, minced
1/4 cup curry powder
1/4 cup water

1. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and the shallot to a small saucepan. Heat over low to medium low heat until the shallot is translucent and soft. Do not brown the shallot (this is called "sweating".)
2. Add the curry and stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add the water. Turn up heat and bring the water to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat and simmer gently until most of the water is gone, leaving a paste.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the rest of the oil.
6. Put into a lidded glass jar and leave at room temperature for a few hours, shaking the jar occasionally.
7. Strain through a coffee filter into a clean glass jar (leaving overnight if necessary to finish straining).
8. Keep refrigerated when not using.

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2006, 07:09 AM »
Hi,

Obviously this is an American recipe site. What's Canola Oil or it's equivalent over here, can't say I have seen it in my supermarkets? I guess Veg Oil would be similar. I wonder what curry powder they use?

Ray

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2006, 09:25 AM »
Again i will mention this ONE MORE TIME as it may be relevant.
On several occasions i have had pockets of the desired smell/taste in my Curries I'm not 100% sure but it seems to happen when i use Green Chillies,does this mean the guy who told me 3 weeks ago the "smell is the cooked Green Chillies" was not lying ?
Hi Darth
            I had a bought curry last night
It was a georgous general "restaurant" flavour, like I can make, but with these "pockets" of the taste.
There must be something solid in it giving this flavour
The sauce wasn't hot, so if it is chilli, they must be deseeded
Maybe you don't use much
I don't always put fresh green chilli into my base, do you?

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2006, 01:22 PM »
I dont get any Green Chillies in my Take-away Curries (& i rarely put then in my own Curries) one Bir uses Chilli powder in their Phall & Vindalloo, which you can taste.
The other i think uses a concentrate as you cannot taste any Chilli powder at all in their Tindalloo (as hot as a Phall).
It is intriguing how I get pockets of the correct Smell/taste sometimes,one Bir told me that the smell is the cooked Green Chillies (this is the same one which you can taste Chiili powder in mmmm...lies on their part me thinks ?)
Does pureed Green Chillies give the taste ?     

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2006, 01:34 AM »
I have on occasion roasted green chilies and a variety of other vegetables and then added them to  a curry . This does impart s slightly smokey flavor to the more delicate dishes .

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2006, 07:19 PM »
I always use fresh green chillies when making my curries.  My husband eats phall and I eat vindaloo/tindaloo!  When making the hot ones if you use all chilli powder then the end result is horrible and all its fit for is throwing in the bin.  I usually use loads of fresh chillies whole and chopped and a little chilli powder.  As with green pepper in the base, chopped and whole green chillies gives that same aroma/smell to a curry!  Plus with the spiced oil "voila"there you have it.  Green chillies (not red) play a big part in the end dish. I couldn't do with out my whole chillies in my dupiaza.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2006, 10:53 AM »
i must agree with Curry Queen too much Chili powder can make the Curry taste like.....Chili powder.I'm working on making hot spiced Oil this weekend  :o

Offline Nessa

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2006, 11:14 PM »
Hi,

Obviously this is an American recipe site. What's Canola Oil or it's equivalent over here, can't say I have seen it in my supermarkets? I guess Veg Oil would be similar. I wonder what curry powder they use?

Ray

Canola is corn oil and our equivalent is Mazola (remember the 70's ads for that?), but I don't think it matters what veg oil you use. Canola is just the most commonly used oil in the US because they grow a LOT of corn!

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2006, 07:41 AM »
Canola is corn oil

No it's not!

Canola is derived from rape seed oil. It is called Canola because it is short for 'Canada Oil' where it ws invented. The trade name was a neccessity because it is made from GM rape seed and that wasn't sellable to the public.

©2024 Curry Recipes