Author Topic: Spiced oil from a BIR  (Read 27155 times)

Offline Nessa

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Spiced oil from a BIR
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2006, 04:47 PM »
"NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"? ?

I think you'll enjoy the Star Wars Gangsta Rap flash movie, if you haven't seen it.? Most amusing!? :D
http://www.atomfilms.com/af/content/gangsta_rap

Anyway back on topic, for the first time I have a jar full of reclaimed oil that I'll be using tonight. I can't wait to try the results because the oil smells fantastic. I could drink it! A shame I'll be cooking a very mild curry because of the kids today, but it should still be nice enough.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Spiced oil from a BIR
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2014, 03:24 PM »
i've just come across a website that shows how to make a basic version of Spiced Oil.
Heres the site for anyone thats interested http://www.experimentalkitchen.org/article.php/2005040318292155

and heres the recipe they show:
------------------------------------------------
Infused oils are incredibly versatile, they can be used to replace plain oil in a favorite recipe or they can be used as a condiment on finished dishes.

This recipe can be easily halved, if you doubt your ability to use up a whole cup of infused oil.

1 cup canola oil
1 shallot, minced
1/4 cup curry powder
1/4 cup water

1. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and the shallot to a small saucepan. Heat over low to medium low heat until the shallot is translucent and soft. Do not brown the shallot (this is called "sweating".)
2. Add the curry and stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add the water. Turn up heat and bring the water to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat and simmer gently until most of the water is gone, leaving a paste.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the rest of the oil.
6. Put into a lidded glass jar and leave at room temperature for a few hours, shaking the jar occasionally.
7. Strain through a coffee filter into a clean glass jar (leaving overnight if necessary to finish straining).
8. Keep refrigerated when not using.

Not a bad oil base, can I recommend the addition of garlic and fresh coriander w/ the onions.

©2024 Curry Recipes