Author Topic: Preparation of potatoes as prepared at our T/A for bombay aloo  (Read 5964 times)

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
THIS IS WHAT IVE BEEN TAUGHT AT THE T/A WHERE I WORK. IVE WHATCHED MANY TIMES THIS PREPARATION BEING DONE,BUT  WILL SHARE IN THE FORUM .USED WITH THE PREPARED ONIONS,SOME MIX POWDER,A LITTLE UNCOOKED ONIONS SLICED,A LITTLE TOMATO PUREE ABOUT HALF A SMALL ONION HALF TOMATO CUT INTO QUARTERS, START FRYING.
FRY DOWN WITH A LITTLE GURAVY OR SERVE IT SAUCEY WHICH THEY SAY. A LITTLE METHY FRYED IN WITH THE INGEDIENTS ADD THE POTATOES AND COVER WITH FRESH CORIANDER FOLLOW THIS AND YOU WILL HAVE  THE BIR TASE

THREEQUARTER CUP OF OIL
1 HEAPED TEASPOON OF PAANCH PHURAN
1 ONION CHOPPED FINE 
4 CLOVES OF CHOPPED GARLIC
2 DESERT SPOONS OF MIX POWDER
1 TEASPOON OF TURMARIC
4 CHEF SPOONS OF LIQUIDISED PLUM TOMATOES
SALT TO TASTE
AROUND 6-7 POTATOES CUT INTO QUARTERS
1 DESERT SPOON OF METHI

METHOD
PUT THE OIL IN A SAUSPAN,AND PUT IN THE GARLIC, FRY FOR ABOUT 3 MINS,NOW ADD THE ONIONS AND PAANCH PHURAN,METHI AND FRY FOR ANOTHER 5 MINS STIRING REGULARILY NOW ADD THE MIX POWDER,AND TURMARIC
AFTER 5 SECONDS ADD THE TOMATOES AND SALT. FRY FOR ABOUT 5 MINS STIRING. NOW ADD THE POTATOES
YOU NEED TO KEEP EXTRA CARE VTHEY DONT START FRYING SO KEEP STIRING  ADD A SMALL DROP OF WATER
IF NEEDED KNOCK OFF FROM TIME TO TIME LEAVING THEM COOK IN THEIR OWN HEAT DO THIS BY COVERING WITH
A PLATE REHEATING EVERY MAYBE  10 MINS BUT ALWAYS STIRING THEM UNTIL COOKED WE USE ABOUT 23 POTATOES IN THIS METHOD AT OUR T/A BUT WELL WORTH THE EFFORT .YOU NOW HAVE THE PREPARED POTATOES FOR MAKING BOMBAY ALOO
GOOD LUCK
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:10 PM by ifindforu »

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: PEPARATION OF POTATOES AS PREPARED AT OUR T/A FOR BOMBAY ALOO
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 07:56 PM »
Next time i do bombay aloo i'll give this ago.   Ingredients for pre-cooking the potatoes are similar to Curry Barking Mad's although the cooking method is different.  Are a particular type of potatoes used or will any do? Having cooked CBM's recipe many times i am sure this recipe will turn out equally good results and look forward to trying it and then finishing the dish as per the recipe.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 08:49 PM »
Next time i do Bombay Alpo I'll give this ago.   Ingredients for precooking the potatoes are similar to Curry Barking Mad's although the cooking method is different.  Are a particular type of potatoes used or will any do? Having cooked CBM's recipe many times i am sure this recipe will turn out equally good results and look forward to trying it and then finishing the dish as per the recipe.
any potatoes, Ive never seen them use new potatoes

Offline Nick D

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 09:21 AM »
HI,

Use the standard red potatoes (yellow flesh) as they don't disintegrate as much and taste really good. (What my local uses)
The leftover oil from cooking potatoes tastes really good excellent for re-use.

Nick

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 10:02 AM »
HI,

Use the standard red potatoes (yellow flesh) as they don't disintegrate as much and taste really good. (What my local uses)

Nick
I've found that you can't rely on one particular type of standard potato nowadays.  Some of the time they're consistant but they all occasionally throw a curve ball :( :(.  The only exception being charlotte or salad potatoes which is what i now use and always get  very good results.  I find that my local TA's aloo can suffer from being a little "fluffy" once in a while :o.  And, yes this method is an ideal way to produce a lovely spiced oil if you're in to using it once any solids have been removed.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 10:08 AM »
HI,

Nick
I've found that you can't rely on one particular type of standard potato nowadays.  Some of the time they're consistant but they all occasionally throw a curve ball :( :(.  The only exception being charlotte or salad potatoes which is what i now use and always get  very good results.  I find that my local TA's aloo can suffer from being a little "fluffy" once in a while :o.  And, yes this method is an ideal way to produce a lovely spiced oil if you're in to using it once any solids have been removed.
the potatoes used at our T/A are tulip pack but i used lidl potatoes yellow or red just dont over cook

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 10:08 AM »
ifindforu - Why "shout" by using upper case letters and red text? If goes against most forum guidelines, many people don't like it and, if your recipes are any good, it's surely unnecessary.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 11:43 AM »
ifindforu - Why "shout" by using upper case letters and red text? If goes against most forum guidelines, many people don't like it and, if your recipes are any good, it's surely unnecessary.
thank you George but I'm partially blind,but if you would  like to change then i give you permission,by the way they are not my recipies the are from the T/A where i work

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 02:20 PM »
thank you George but I'm partially blind,but if you would  like to change then i give you permission,by the way they are not my recipies the are from the T/A where i work

ifindforu - thank you for your reply. I didn't know you are partially blind and I'm very sorry to hear it. In that case, I now understand why you might prefer to use all upper case lettering.

©2024 Curry Recipes