Author Topic: North Indian Special with Taz Base  (Read 15664 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
North Indian Special with Taz Base
« on: February 05, 2012, 10:46 PM »
I can't possibly post this recipe without reference to curryhell whose initial post inspired this replica using the Taz base and method

North Indian Special with Taz Base

Pre-Cooked Onions

Ingredients:

quarter of a large onion, roughly diced
quarter of red or green pepper, roughly diced
oil

Method:

fry the onions and pepper in some oil till lightly softened and set aside

Spicy Onions

Ingredients:

1 large or two medium onions
6 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tsp salt

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: North Indian Special with Taz Base
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 12:32 AM »
Looks good.

Isn't the Chicken tikka added to the pan?
Or is it a sauce poured over your chicken tikka on the plate?

Cheers
Martin

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 08:35 AM »
martinvic - you can do either - in this case I poured the sauce over the chicken as you rightly deduced!

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 11:02 AM »
I can't possibly post this recipe without reference to curryhell whose initial post inspired this replica using the Taz base and method

Fame at last ::) ;D. That looks very tasty SL.  I could eat it now :P. I almost mistook it for being one of my NIS's ;D.  Thanks for "Tazzing" it and giving the Taz enthusiasts the opportunity to experience a lovely tasting dish and my own personal favourite.

A couple of questions if i may.
Did you make my NIS before adapting the recipe to the Taz base and cooking technique?
If so, I would be interested to hear your opinion on the flavours and it would be good to post them in my original thread.
If not, how would you describe that delicious looking plate of food?

A couple of observations which IMHO i believe will have an affect on the overall the flavour.  You may want to follow up on this next time you make the dish and see if there is a marked difference in taste.

I noticed the spicey onions are added at the end and therefore they are only cooked for as long as it takes for the curry to reach the desired consistancy.  The spicey onions are a key ingredient to giving this dish its unique flavour and i believe they should be added after your first reduction to ensure they have the opportunity to do their job ;).  Adding so late on in the dish they will not have the full and desired impact.
Same comment for the lemon juice but this could be a personal preference.  The dish does have a slight sour taste just noticeable and buried deep within  the flavours (more subtle when tamarind is used).  I always find that adding lemon juice just at the end, the taste is more apparent and stands out rather than merging into a dish.  This may be just my own personal opinion.
Lastly, an obvious one, already commented on by martinvic.  Adding the tikka while cooking adds further flavour to the dish which will be missing if you simply pour the sauce over the meat.
Again, thanks for providing the adaptation and opening up the dish to Taz advocates :).  I'm sure they won't be disappointed and I look forward to reading other members comments on the recipe and hope they enjoy the dish as much as i do.  Next time i knock up the Taz base i'll definitely be trying your recipe and reporting back ;)

By the way, did you have chance to try the brinjal bhaji ???

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 11:18 AM »
curryhell - thanks for these helpful hints, as the NIS guru I appreciate you taking the time to do this. I will amend my Taz recipe and add the spicy onions etc after the first reduction. I'm doing another portion tonight so I will update my recipe to your suggestions.

I haven't made your NIS as spec, and in particular I could see from the amount of chilli in your recipe that it would be way beyond what I could cope with heat wise. As you will see I've scaled down the amount of heat.

I would normally add chicken tikka to the sauce in the manner you described but when taking a pic I kinda like the tikka to be visible and not covered in sauce (yes I really am that sad!). I could have explained this better in my first post though.

regards

Steve

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 11:52 AM »
curryhell - thanks for these helpful hints, as the NIS guru I appreciate you taking the time to do this. I will amend my Taz recipe and add the spicy onions etc after the first reduction. I'm doing another portion tonight so I will update my recipe to your suggestions.
Guru indeed :o :o Like i'm a "spice god" as well ;D ;D. I would definitely change the sequence for the spicy onions though.
I haven't made your NIS as spec, and in particular I could see from the amount of chilli in your recipe that it would be way beyond what I could cope with heat wise. As you will see I've scaled down the amount of heat.
Not sure how many times i have said during the thread the chilli content should be adjusted to your personal taste.  The NIS is a medium / medium hot dish and does not require the chilli quantities i use, unless of course you're a fire eater too ;).  For my own personal taste i love heat, so in with the chilli powder ::)
I would normally add chicken tikka to the sauce in the manner you described but when taking a pic I kinda like the tikka to be visible and not covered in sauce (yes I really am that sad!). I could have explained this better in my first post though.
I most definitely understand you not wanting to cover up such lovely looking tikka SL for the photo shoot which is always important :D

The most important thing though.  How did it taste? ??? ???
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:17 PM by curryhell »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 03:47 PM »
curryhell it tasted very good - it's not a dish I am aware of in Scottish BIRs but I am looking forward to comparing tonight's version, with the adjustments suggested by yourself. I have some left over from last night so I will be able to get some comparison between the two.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 04:04 PM »
curryhell it tasted very good - it's not a dish I am aware of in Scottish BIRs but I am looking forward to comparing tonight's version, with the adjustments suggested by yourself. I have some left over from last night so I will be able to get some comparison between the two.
The dish isn't your bog standard curry but i have seen it occasionally on some menus down south.  Can't think of a better way to make a comparison SL.  Will be interesting to hear the results on this one :D

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 10:26 PM »
OK so I had another go at this recipe based on the comments from curry hell and here is the revised recipe.

Pre-Cooked Onions

Ingredients
:

quarter of a large onion, roughly diced
quarter of red or green pepper, roughly diced
oil

Method:

fry the onions and pepper in some oil till lightly softened and set aside

Spicy Onions

Ingredients:

1 large or two medium onions
6 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tsp salt

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 10:05 AM »
OK so I had another go at this recipe based on the comments from curry hell and here is the revised recipe............In comparison with yesterday's effort this recipe had a less sweet, more savoury taste with greater depth of flavour in keeping with curryhell's predictions.

I'm licking my screen now  :P.  That certainly looks like an NIS.  It's funny how by making a simple change in sequence you get a different result.  I hope many of the Taz advocates try it after all your hard work SL.  Hope you enjoyed it and thought it worth all the effort.  My first dish with my next Taz base followed by your pathia  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes