Author Topic: Chicken tikka made at our T/A  (Read 7165 times)

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Chicken tikka made at our T/A
« on: February 06, 2012, 11:07 AM »
This is for about 7 breasts of chicken
500 pot of yogurt
1 desert spoon of methi
3 fresh chillies a good handfull of fresh coriander
2 desert spoons of mix powder
half a desert spoon of tandoori paste  /
1 desert spoon of tikka paste
half desert spoon of Kashmir masala
1 level desert spoon of Coleman's fresh garden mint
half a mug of mustard oil  /we have used veg oil when we  run out of mustard oil
colour red and light orange

blend up with a liquidiser cut the breasts lengh ways in half and marinade for about 4 hours or more
to make for tandoori chicken its 1 desert spoon tandoori paste and half a desert of tikka paste
in the house we do ours in a halogen cooker i suppose an oven will do all the best
to serve cut the tikka into pieces use a frying pan with some oil some onions and a taspoon of methi,fry for 3 mins  then add the cjcken tikka a little fresh coriander over the top

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken tikka made at our T/A
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 05:48 PM »
the tandoori version caught my eye - something i've never managed to get right. was making kebab chicken for tomorrow night but have switched.

i already make as my norm ifindforu tikka (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4968.msg48047#msg48047). this recipe is in a sense very similar to what i make.

the differences that stand out are the amount of yogurt, oil, mix powder and methi along with the absence of lemon/lime juice, garlic, garam masala.

anyhow have gone as close to the as spec recipe as i'm comfortable with (getting harder to accept failure)- differences being:

yogurt 45ml (norm is 30ml)
mustard oil 45 ml (norm is 15ml to 30ml) - i think 0.5 mug would be 100ml
mix powder 15ml (norm 5ml)

for the green chilli i used 1 off fresh and 30ml of green chilli paste.

the taste of the mixed ingredients is not far off what my normal tikka tastes like except as you would expect a stronger taste of the oil and mix powder.

gut feeling going forward i think for tandoori i would need to increase the paste ratio a tad more. 

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 11:28 AM »
there was no discernable difference between my normal ifindforu tikka recipe and this revised recipe.

it's the best tikka i've come across and we make it almost on a weekly basis.

the extra oil gave a deeper yellow colour and i suspect tenderised the meat more.

as for the tandoori version it's not the tandoori taste that i'm searching for. i know i used breast whilst tandoori pukka is a must have thigh meat. this recipe and all tandoori i've tried are just far too delux.

i'm upbeat though on switching the tikka tandoori paste ratio and feel i just need to strip the recipe back. the taste that i'm after is from my fav local restaurant and is almost bland in terms of spice. the taste is something like 33:33:33 being thigh meat: bbq taste: spice taste.

going fwd i did not miss the garam in my std recipe. i also thought the increased methi was no bad thing either.

well please albeit fine tuning.

many thanks ifindforu for continued guidance.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 01:04 PM »
Did this on Saturday but been too busy to post results.  Terry, this must be one of the best tikkas i've ever tasted.  Made to spec with the exception of the yoghurt quantity which i reduced by 50% and replaced with milk to try and avoid any clinging marinade.  Absolutely stunning tikka.  YUM YUM

Fresh from under the grill

Ready for the freezer
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 01:53 AM by curryhell »

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 09:46 PM »
Did this on Saturday but been too busy to post results.  Terry, this must be one of the best tikkas i've ever tasted.  Made to spec with the exception of the yoghurt quantity which i reduced by 50% and replaced with milk to try and avoid any clinging marinade.  Absolutely stunning tikka.
Pics are here.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7847.0
Thank you, he actualy taught me this.On a tandoori oven even better will post some more after a break By the way god idea about the milk which i think would work. the tandoori chef just takes it off when putting on scewer

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 04:34 PM »
curryhell,

yum yum for sure.

be brave on your next go - leave the milk out. then as 2nd step take the yogurt down even more - no clinging marinade but packed with flavour.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 11:18 PM »
500 pot of yogurt
1 desert spoon of methi
half a mug of mustard oil  /we have used veg oil when we  run out of mustard oil

blend up with a liquidiser cut the breasts lengh ways in half and marinade for about 4 hours or more
to make for tandoori chicken its 1 desert spoon tandoori paste and half a desert of tikka paste
in the house we do ours in a halogen cooker i suppose an oven will do all the best
to serve cut the tikka into pieces use a frying pan with some oil some onions and a taspoon of methi,fry for 3 mins  then add the cjcken tikka a little fresh coriander over the top
Very sorry all you curry adicts but just remembered 2 desert spoons of ginger garlic paste and a good squirt of lemon to add to the tikka mix SORRY.Fry some of the chicken tikka with some chopped onions and a pinch of methi ,job done.
the chef said to make tandoori just add more tandoori past and less tikka paste and a bit more kashmir masala still working at the take away JERRY. ps im working on his mosala paste and will post when i have correct amount of ingredients
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 11:42 PM by ifindforu »

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 08:25 AM »
Nice to see you posting again as I found many of your posts intriguing and interesting. :)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 09:19 AM »
500 pot of yogurt
1 desert spoon of methi

Very sorry all you curry adicts but just remembered 2 desert spoons of ginger garlic paste and a good squirt of lemon to add to the tikka mix SORRY.Fry some of the chicken tikka with some chopped onions and a pinch of methi ,job done.
the chef said to make tandoori just add more tandoori past and less tikka paste and a bit more kashmir masala still working at the take away JERRY. ps im working on his mosala paste and will post when i have correct amount of ingredients

Good to hear from you Ifindforu,looking forward to that massla paste when you have it.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 10:36 AM »
welcome back  Ifindforu.

©2024 Curry Recipes